cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection - poor man's Google Voice on premise?

goodwin.dave
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for some advice on how the following may be configured in Unity Connection. Unfortunately, using something like Google Voice is not possible, so I am trying to see if I can replicate a very basic form of the functionality (follow-me) using their existing deployment of Unity Connection.

The situation is that the office has statically configured phone numbers on each phone. Let's say there are 100 single-line phones, and for the sake of this discussion let's say there is no CallManager - the phone system is something different, and there is no such thing as Extension Mobility. All the 100 phones are used by 200 different users, who rotate in and use each phone on a hot-desking basis. So the 100 phone numbers on the phones do not change, but each of the 200 users needs to have his/her own unique number that will ring at the hot desk where he/she is sitting that day. If they do not answer, the caller should be sent to that user's specific Unity Connection mailbox. Ideally, if the caller leaves a message, Unity Connection would be able to light the MWI lamp on the phone where the user is sitting - though I realize that could be a challenge.
I was thinking that this could be done by creating 200 users w/ mailbox in Unity Connection (for each of the 200 people) that has that user's unique phone number as the extension, and that would not change. And then, we could use the Alternate Extension (and set the COS so that users can configure their own Alternate Extension) to allow the user to "claim" the number on the phone as theirs. Users would have to do this when they came in. However, what we want to have happen is that when someone from the outside calls one of the user-specific numbers, Unity Connection will get the call, see which user has that number as their Extension, and then automatically route the caller to the Alternate Extension of the user. This is the follow-me functionality that is being sought here. Is there some way this could be done either with the built-in functionality, or perhaps via a special Call Handler and/or Routing Rule that could be created? Thanks in advance...
-Dave
1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, it would not work that way, this is the best you could get:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsagx/8xcucsag060.html#36733

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate