cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity/Exchange User Question

ilang
Level 1
Level 1

We have a number of departments that use CM and Unity VM-Only for their telephony needs. However, they are on their own domains and for all intents and purposes networks sans their phones. We recently got audited and one of the concerns was these departments that had accounts that either had passwords that didn't expire, passwords that hadn't been changed in a long time, and/or accounts that hadn't logged into the system in months.

My question is how do others handle users that only need exchange/network accounts only for the purpose of VM?

I have disabled some accounts in the past and have had mixed results at best with the Unity Accounts working after doing so. Perhaps, I am just not following the right procedure at all times to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For voicemail only accounts there's no reason you can't disable domain access for a VM only subscriber - if they are not trying to use the PCA web interface or the web inbox and such (which, of course, requires authenticating on the domain) then there's no reason they need to be enabled.

Can you go into a bit more detail on what you did in the past and what problems it caused?

Jeff,

The issue appears to be with the SID. When I disable the account I get messages in the event viewer saying that Unity can't get into the message store.

Looks like by assigning SELF to the Associated External Account solves this.

Thanks to Ed and Mark on the Cisco-VOIP mailing list for pointing me in the right direction.