cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Not Creating Email Address In ADUC

mwheinz
Level 1
Level 1

My 4.04 SR1 Unity server, Exchange on-box,VMO, member server in a domain for voicemail servers only, is not adding the Exchange info to the user property tabs in AD. If you manually add the SMTP and X400 info, the subscriber account works. Unity is creating the Exchange mailbox. What makes Unity populate these fields? Can this be fixed?

Help!

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unity doesn't populate these fields - Exchange/AD does - we simply ask AD to create a user and mail enable them, AD/Exchange does the rest. If you manually create a new user in AD and create an Exchange mailbox for them, I'm assuming you'll see the same thing.

This is likely an issue with your RUS (Recipient Update Service) not running properly - this is the guy that actually populates that information after the mailbox has been created in Exchange - Unity has no direct control over this.

You are correct! The RUS was pointed to a Unity server with Exchange installed that was powered off. Corrected this and it works. I have 4 Unity servers, each VMO with Exchange on box. Should the RUS on each be pointed to to the local server or should they all use the same server?

Thanks for helping!

We have a related but slightly different problem for one customer with a multi-site networked deployment. One of their sites has had a consistent problem since installation.

When Unity creates the AD/Exchange account bits, it takes several minutes (10-15) for email address changes to show up on the DC/GC machines local to this location. RUS is running on one message store only at the central site, which I believe is the Microsoft recommended approach. I assume the delay is due to site replication and RUS intervals, and is normal...?

However Unity never picks up on the SMTP address when it does eventually get posted to the account, and so the account doesn't work properly. The admins get around this by manually refreshing the account in the UI and hitting save after waiting about 15 minutes. Then Unity seems to sync this info, and everything works. They have to do this every time they create an account, not so good.

I assume that Unity has an issue with this delay, however their other locations do not exhibit this behavior and are set up in a similar fashion.

We had pursued this with TAC for a while, with not much luck, they suggested 4.0(4) upgrade at the time but didn't offer many specifics. We just upgraded them from 4.0(2) to 4.0(4) this past weekend, and the problem still exists. Any ideas?

I surely don't know what your problem could be. You may need to create another RUS service on your local Exchange server. Perhaps if you started another conversation, your question might get noticed by the experts who frequent this forum. You might try adding the new subscriber in AD first, creating the mailbox at the same time, then try importing the new user into Unity and see if that works better.

Good luck!