cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity upgrade doubts

Trying tobeone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Our customer is looking to upgrade Unity 4.2.1, as the support will end by July. They are having Exchange 2010 and AD 2008.

Currently they are having 2 servers and 300 license (150 on each server).

Please help me out to give a solution for this and also the technical difficulties in upgrading Unity like whether Subscribers and Voice mails will be migrated to new server and how to take the backup of the existing configuration to the new Unity Server.

Rgds

TT

2 Replies 2

Saurabh Agnihotri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi TT,

I would suggest you to move to Either Unity 7 or Unity 8.

Taking COBRAS export would be a good idea as it will save you from the hassles of upgrading if you are going to migrate on a new hardware.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/COBRAS.html

(Look for the Help file and the training videos at the bottom of this page)

As far as the licenses is concerned, you need to contact Licensing team and would need these licenses migrated to the new server.

Please rate this post if you find it useful and do let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Saurabh

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We are not sure if your customer is UM or voicemail only.  For this response, I will assume UM.

I would move them to Unity Connection BEFORE their upgrade their Exchange enviroment.   Unity Connection UM will work with 2003/2007/2010.  It will be seamless for the Unity Subscribers when the Exchange team goes to change their enviroment.

For your end, you can simply setup the new Unity Connection server and use COBRAS to test the import/export of the Unity 4.2.1 enviroment.  There really is no boiler template on what to do, because just about every Unity enviroment I walk into is different.

Assuming your enviroment is UM, the voicemails do not get transferred because they are already in Exchange today.  COBRAS cans simply move your call handlers, subscribers, etc to the new Connection server.

I would recommend watching the COBRAS import/export tools video at www.ciscounitytools.com and read the help file about 5x so you understand what it can and not do.