cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2.1(1a) go to 1.4 or 2.2?

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I am running 2.1(1a) ucs software. Should i go to 2.2 or 1.4? What are the differences between these 2?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should go to 2.2.x version of UCS software, if you go to 1.4 you will be doing a downgrade of your system.

There are a lot of differences among all these versions. Between 2.1 to 2.2 some new features were added and between 1.4 and 2.x new features and zoning capability was added as well.

In the release notes you can find more details about it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/ucs_2_2_rn.html

Please rate all useful answers.

Regards.

Richard

View solution in original post

Hi Tony,

Cisco recommends schedule a maintenance window to do the upgrade.

If you have failover enabled in all interfaces in your services-profiles or some kind of virtual switch handling the network high availability the traffic disruption should be minimum.

Another issue that you have to be aware is whether multipath is properly configured, not just the vmware side, but checking if the entire SAN is working end-to-end with at least one path through each fabric interconnect.

Just in case, schedule a maintenance window and do the upgrade following the upgrade guide.

By my experience in field doing this with vmware, the upgrade process was 100% transparently to the applications so far.

Regards.

Richard.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should go to 2.2.x version of UCS software, if you go to 1.4 you will be doing a downgrade of your system.

There are a lot of differences among all these versions. Between 2.1 to 2.2 some new features were added and between 1.4 and 2.x new features and zoning capability was added as well.

In the release notes you can find more details about it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/ucs_2_2_rn.html

Please rate all useful answers.

Regards.

Richard

If i do the upgrade, will the vms lose network or storage connectivity? I have 2 FIs and each host has service profiles to both FIs.

Thanks

Hi Tony,

Cisco recommends schedule a maintenance window to do the upgrade.

If you have failover enabled in all interfaces in your services-profiles or some kind of virtual switch handling the network high availability the traffic disruption should be minimum.

Another issue that you have to be aware is whether multipath is properly configured, not just the vmware side, but checking if the entire SAN is working end-to-end with at least one path through each fabric interconnect.

Just in case, schedule a maintenance window and do the upgrade following the upgrade guide.

By my experience in field doing this with vmware, the upgrade process was 100% transparently to the applications so far.

Regards.

Richard.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card