cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Partition Error Imaging B200 M5 with MECM (SCCM)

pmullis
Level 1
Level 1

We are using MECM to image our UCS devices with Windows Server 2019 and are frequently encountering an error during the phase where it lays down the OS. It sees the Windows partitions and lays down the files on that partition, but fails when it tries to access the system partition. Some systems image fine using the exact same steps, but on the ones that fail, nothing we have tried will resolve it. We are setup with UEFI and we are PXE booting into WinPE and this is the error we are seeing:

System partition not set ApplyOperatingSystem 8/4/2023 9:32:24 AM 2912 (0x0B60)
Unable to find the partition that contains the OS boot loaders. Please ensure the hard disks have been properly partitioned
Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)

We have tried partitioning with the built-in disk partition commands for UEFI as well as manually scripting with diskpart and we still get the error. While in WinPE I have run diskpart and viewed the partitions and confirmed all partitions are setup and appear to be correct. It's not failing on all systems, which makes me think this could be a configuration issue with some systems. My hardware team is saying it's properly configured because we can manually build the system with an ISO, but that's not a viable solution.

These are the steps I have used when trying to manually run diskpart.

select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=500
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=128
create partition primary
shrink minimum=450
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="C"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

pmullis
Level 1
Level 1

Additional info, we have two HBA's so as a test, we had one removed and when we did that it actually installed the operating system without an error. It goes through the inject drivers phase and then when it reboots to go out of WinPE and into Windows to finish the task sequence, it craps out and says there is a problem with the boot file and won't load the OS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card