cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RAID array goes into fault status when installing OS

Austin P
Level 1
Level 1

I am thoroughly confused.  I have a C240 M4 I recently got and bought a UCSC-MRAID12G-1GB for it.  I plugged a pair of 1TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's into it and tried to configure them in a RAID 1 array.  Works fine until I go to install Windows Server to it... after I select the drive (virtual drive created in CIMC) and click next it either errors out or get's stuck at 0% Copying Files and the raid array goes into fault status in CIMC for a variety of reasons:

-Drive in bay 1 in unknown state

-Drive in bay 1 in failed state

-Drive in bay 2 in unknown state

-Drive in bay 2 in failed state

-Both drives in failed state

-Both drives in unknown state

Am I doing something wrong or do I probably have a bunk raid card?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Perhaps Windows has an incorrect driver for the raid array (or even none) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

It seems to detect the array once I load the raid controller driver, when I go to install is when I have the issue.  But it does also happen prior to booting to the installer as well.  I bought another controller do verify its not just a bunk slot on my board.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That raid controller (and it's firmware) was tested with specific sets of drives (https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c240m4-sff-spec-sheet.pdf).
Would have to look at raid controller logs to see if something is causing the controller to crash/restart.

Kirk...

By which you mean Storage Logs in CIMC?  Saw tons of "Unexpected sense" errors.  Not sure if backplane, drives, board, controller, or what...

I did also try downgrading the firmware of the controller.  Was of no help.

The controller itself did go into unresponsive status twice yesterday so I'm thinking controller.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card