Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS architecture

sqambera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to data center studies and I am trying to build my concepts ralted to Cisco UCS. It would probably be silly questions but I want to know:

1. what is the difference between a "Service Profile" and Virtual machine? Are they both different names of same concept?

2. What is the concept behind virtual switch? Is it used to connect VMs or Service Profiles? If it is so, is it installed on a server over a VM/SP or something else?

2. I would appreciate if somebody could share a logical diagram showing overall concept of integrated service profile, virtual switch, VNIC, vEth, blade servers, etc.

Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

one SP is associated with one physical blade ! a SP corresponds to a logical server !

logical server (SP) + physical blade = physical server (ESXi, W2012, Linux,....)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please see https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2270865?tstart=0 where you get answers to all of your questions

1. what is the difference between a "Service Profile" and Virtual machine? Are they both different names of same concept?

NO, not at all, a SP is a new concept, introduced with UCS architecture; it allows you to abstract the hardware of a server. It defines a template and/or a logical server: eg. number of vhba's, number of vnics, mac address pwwn/nwwn, BIOS version, boot policy/boot order. The values of mac, pwwn, nwwn, UUID are taken out of predefined pools, therefore they are hardware independent. Then you associate a SP with a physical blade, which then imposes all the above configuration on the real physical server. The relationship between SP and physical server is 1 to 1; if you need 10 ESXi servers, you need 10 SP's.

UCS is OS agnostic, it has no clue what the installed OS is. Therefore in UCS there are no OS specific agents.

VM appear in the context of server virtualization, and are completely different from SP.

see also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YGJlP2q5Go

2. What is the concept behind virtual switch? Is it used to connect VMs or Service Profiles? If it is so, is it installed on a server over a VM/SP or something else?

Each hypervisor (Hyper-v, ESXi, Xen,...) is using a virtual switch (software); it is required to locally switch traffic between 2 VM's on the same physical host. VM's connect to the virtual switch.

3. I would appreciate if somebody could share a logical diagram showing overall concept of integrated service profile, virtual switch, VNIC, vEth, blade servers, etc.

xxx.png

Thanks Wdey for helping out. A small clarity furhter needed is that, you said "if you need 10 ESXi servers, you need 10 SP's". Can these 10 SP's be on a single physical blade server or there should be 10 physical servers for each SP?

Thanks.

Qamber

one SP is associated with one physical blade ! a SP corresponds to a logical server !

logical server (SP) + physical blade = physical server (ESXi, W2012, Linux,....)

Thanks a lot Wdey

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card