cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Cisco employee tell me what "SCAPS" and "tftp addr" queries are that my VOIP adapter is making?

SumGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Since the wider voip community and associated experts can't answer this question,

Can a Cisco employee tell me what these VOIP ATA log entries mean or refer to:

++++ retry query scaps
+++ need tftp addr..
+++ send scaps discovery query

And tell me what settings to look at in my SPA-112 ATA to deactivate what-ever my ATA is trying to accomplish by looking for SCAPS and tftp addr.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SumGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm baaack.

What I think I've discovered is that in the SPA-112 (and probably many other ATA's made by other companies) there is a Provisioning option in the device's config menu that is, I guess, intended when the device is part of a mass-installation and is centrally configured. When the device is used by individuals in home/soho situations where they manage the device themselves, there will almost certainly be no provisioning server for the ATA to contact. I've set the "Provision Enable" setting in my ATA from yes to no (and also set the firmware upgrade enable to no). I no longer see these log entries in my syslog server logs:

++++ retry query scaps
+++ need tftp addr..

I would have thought that my question as to what is the meaning of those entries would have been more commonly known since in many cases these ATA's are used in conjunction with provisioning servers and people (admin's, etc) would have, over the years, had issues with their ATA's making contact with provisioning servers and those syslog lines would be highly diagnostic.

I will also note that there is a "Linksys Key System Parameters" menu section in the SIP menu, and there is the ability to set to "no" the "Linksys Key System" and "autodiscovery". But even if you set those to "no", the ATA will still send out 3 packets every 66 seconds on the local lan to the multicast address listed in that section. You can totally disable that network traffic by removing the multicast address.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dan - do you not want a Cisco employee to post an authoritative answer to this question?  If you do, them what was the point of your comment above?

This thread is duplicate of other thread. It may be deleted by moderator and it's content will be lost.

Anyone, including Cisco employee can respond same question in original thread.

Just side note - according my experience, your chances a Cisco employee will respond you here (or even in original thread) are near to zero.

> Anyone, including Cisco employee can respond same question in original thread.

Since a week had gone by, and no one had posted an answer, not even an employee, what's the harm in asking a second time, with a more direct subject line? 

> Just side note - according my experience, your chances a Cisco employee will

> respond you here (or even in original thread) are near to zero.

Because it's typical for Cisco employees to not respond to questions in these forums?

Or do you mean they likely won't respond to *my* questions?

You seem particularly focused about all this.  What's your stake in it, if I may ask?

We are turning duplicate thread into off-topic thread ...

Because it's typical for Cisco employees to not respond to questions in these forums?

Employee answers are rare here. You can call paid SMB Support center if you wish to try.

You seem particularly focused about all this. What's your stake in it, if I may ask?

I'm almost only person answering questions related to SMB Voice and ATA end-devices here. Especially those not covered by the normal documentation.

SumGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm baaack.

What I think I've discovered is that in the SPA-112 (and probably many other ATA's made by other companies) there is a Provisioning option in the device's config menu that is, I guess, intended when the device is part of a mass-installation and is centrally configured. When the device is used by individuals in home/soho situations where they manage the device themselves, there will almost certainly be no provisioning server for the ATA to contact. I've set the "Provision Enable" setting in my ATA from yes to no (and also set the firmware upgrade enable to no). I no longer see these log entries in my syslog server logs:

++++ retry query scaps
+++ need tftp addr..

I would have thought that my question as to what is the meaning of those entries would have been more commonly known since in many cases these ATA's are used in conjunction with provisioning servers and people (admin's, etc) would have, over the years, had issues with their ATA's making contact with provisioning servers and those syslog lines would be highly diagnostic.

I will also note that there is a "Linksys Key System Parameters" menu section in the SIP menu, and there is the ability to set to "no" the "Linksys Key System" and "autodiscovery". But even if you set those to "no", the ATA will still send out 3 packets every 66 seconds on the local lan to the multicast address listed in that section. You can totally disable that network traffic by removing the multicast address.