Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP over Wireless (bridges/802.11b) Connection

wassim.kreidy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 sites with Voice-enabled routers installed. They are connected to PBX in both sites.

These sites are connected to each other via a 2.4Ghz 802.11b wireless connection using Aironet 350 bridges.

The link is currently used to carry voice only (no data traffic transmitted over the link).

Connection is operating at 11Mbps but configured to fallback to lower speed in case it is needed. Statistics show that connection is operating at 11Mbps for the majority of the time.

Same connection had previously been tested with data traffic and no problem was noticed.

The problem is that when more than 5 simultaneous voice calls (Codec is G729) are transmitted over the link, the voice quality gets degraded.

We have also tried to use the same link for Voice and Data at the same time, we have also noticed that at the 6th call, the quality gets degraded (i.e. with and without data being trasmitted on link at the same time as voice, we are getting choppy voice quality starting the 6th call).

Thanx

2 Replies 2

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

You can try using a voice codec which consumes less bandwidth or enable cRTP to reduce bandwidth consumption .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094660.shtml

gslomovitz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I´m having similar problems with Aironet 350. Did you solve the issue?.

How far are the sites?. Do you see retransmission in the wireless link?

Thanks.