cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: SIP-based Small Business IP Phones and Analog Telephone Adaptors

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Patrick Born

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about resolving usage, configuration, and troubleshooting of SPA phones and ATAs.Patrick Born is a Technical Marketing Engineer for the Small Business Technology Group (SBTG). His responsibilities include SPA3xx, SPA5xx, and SPA9xx IP Phones, WIP 3xx IP Phones, and SPAxxx ATAs including the SPA2102, SPA3102, PAP2T devices.

Remember to use the rating system to let Patrick know if you have received an adequate response. 

Patrick might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Small Business sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event.   This event lasts through November 18, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

26 Replies 26

Christian Isla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

There are 2 main issues we need resolved when using the SPA525 with     Asterisk 1.6.2.5.  The 2 issues are parking and Intercom.

Parking.

Typically what we've been doing in the past for parking with other     phones is a feature which will allow the user to press a 'park'     button.  This will essentially transfer the call to a parking lot     (ie 700).  The system will then play out which parking space it's in     (audio) before the use hangs up.

The solution provided in the past

--

- Define PSK1 as : fnc=sd;ext=700@$PROXY;vid=1;nme=Park
- confLx|1;flash|1;xferLx|2;conf|1;xfer|2;toggle|4;redial|5;dir|6;bxfer|4;park|8;phold;psk1|3

--

was not successful, because what     happens is that the phone sends the call to parking lot but hangs up     in doing so.  Thus you never hear which parking lot number.  This     function needs to be more like an  *attended transfer* rather than a *speeddial* which just hangs up.

ICOM, (Intercom)

We need a way to use a directed Intercom.  A user presses an 'ICOM'     button (can be a prefix), and then waits for the user to enter the     recipients extension.  The recipients phone needs to automatically     pickup speaker.  We are doing this server side.  What the PBX is     expecting to see is a *xxx (where xxx is the extension).  The PBX     will then send the appropriate 'ALERT' to the recipients phone to     auto answer call.

The solution provided in the past ( found in

http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9780596517342/asterisk-SysAdmin.html

)

--

exten => *201,1,SIPAddHeader(Call-Info:\;answer-after=0)
same => n,Page(${PageDevice},i)

--

was not successful, because the     string provided by O'Reilly must not be right because the phone never     auto answers. We tried multiple variations of syntax, which none     were successful.  We need you to tell me *exactly* what the phone     wants to see!

thanks,

ci

Hi Ci,

Great questions.

I'll work on this in my lab and report back.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Ci,

I'm still working the issues you raised. The event is about to be closed, but I'm going to continue to chase down a solution. I'll post to the community when done.

Please feel free to contact me at paborn@cisco if you'd like me to share directly with you once I can figure out something.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

kornelius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

SPA2102 after upgrade firmware - LAN problem:

Few days ago I updated from 3.3.6 to 5.2.12 (latest ver) and got confirmation about success.

My PC was connected to SPA so it worked as SIP and router.

Later when I restarted PC it lost network connection with SPA - LAN port stop respond (NO ip .

I involve Dlink router after DSL modem and connect PC and SPA (phone still works).

After all I opened WAN port with IVR code and now have web access to SPA - reupdated again firmware 5.2.12

VOIP works but LAN port still not responds - ip for it I know 192.168.1.1 but...

WAN port 192.168.0.100 - works fine

but I need SPA work as router - ANY help?

DHCP,NAT - in configuration (I didn't change LAN properties)

thanks

S

Hi Serg,

When you say, "LAN port stop respond (NO ip ."

Do you mean no IP address on computer, or no IP traffic is flowing?

1. Please confirm that the following are correct:

• SPA2102 blue INTERNET port is connected to DSL modem
  • SPA2102 yellow ETHERNET port is connected to your PC

2. Reboot your PC and use the command prompt to determine the PC's IP address: C:\ ipconfig /all

Did your PC report an IP address of 192.168.0.2? [if not, you could have a configuration problem on the SPA2102]

By default, the LAN side of the 2102 is 192.169.0.1 and the first DHCP client gets 192.168.0.2.

Things that could be wrong on the SPA2102's configuration include:

• LAN DHCP server could be disabled
  • Networking service should be NAT [Router > LAN Setup tab]

Let me know how it goes,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick

Thank you very mutch for the assistance! You helped me.

Problem was as you wrote - 'LAN DHCP server could be disabled'

for some reason after upgrade it switched to - 'no' and I lost attention for check it.

Now SPA works as router.

PS

One more question:

I switched from dry loop dsl ISP to cable ISP and previosly had 'PPPOE' connection type - now 'DHCP'

so with pppoe connection led 'Internet' on SPA was green steady and with cable DHCP connect lead 'Internet' on SPA now flashing continiosly.

Modem Motorola has no web access - 'black box'. Is this 'dhcp talking'  beetwen modem and spa would influence on my mothly traffic?

and should I worry about it?

again - thanks!

Hi Serg,

Thanks for letting the community and me know that the issue is resolved.

You ask;

I switched from dry loop dsl ISP to cable ISP and previosly had 'PPPOE' connection type - now 'DHCP'

so  with pppoe connection led 'Internet' on SPA was green steady and with  cable DHCP connect lead 'Internet' on SPA now flashing continiosly.

Modem  Motorola has no web access - 'black box'. Is this 'dhcp talking'   beetwen modem and spa would influence on my mothly traffic?

and should I worry about it?

DHCP does not really talk much. The SPA2102 is a DHCP client and will receive an IP address on lease from the DHCP server. The lease time can be really short or really long, depending on how the DHCP server is configured. Once the lease period comes close to expiration, the SPA2102 will request a renewal of the lease period for the same IP address. DHCP interaction does not generate network traffic and is local between the SPA2102's WAN port and the DHCP server's LAN port.

The flashing LED does indicate that there is traffic on the network. If you are running a browser, all the advertisements, tool bars, and related tasks may well be generating network traffic.

I suggest you download Wireshark from http://wireshark.org and run it on your PC to determine what traffic is running between the SPA2102 WAN port and your cable modem's LAN port. [install a hub between the two in order to view this traffic]

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for usefull tool - wireshark, I installed it and now know for sure that between PC and SPA LAN port traffic is really low as I expected (I forgot to tell before that I checked 'Network' spa led even with disconnected PC from it - led was flashing, and when SPA worked behind Dlink router - Dlink's led 'Internet' also flashed but not spa led).

That means the cable modem Motorola SB5102 initiates this traffic with any router.

I don't have now hub (thanks for advise about it)

and can't check traffic between WAN spa port and cable modem.

Cable is SHAW but ISP another company from east cost.

Would see and try my best.

Serg

John Ventura
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick, I have a couple of questions:

1)  What Bluetooth class is the SPA525G2?

2) How can I configure a speed dial to dial a short number and have the speed dial dial a much longer number?

I'm lookind forward to the responses.

John

Hi John,

1)  What Bluetooth class is the SPA525G2?

A: The SPA525G2 phones are class-2 (2.5mW power) Bluetooth devices. This means that they've about a 10 meter range.

2) How can I configure a speed dial to dial a short number and have the speed dial dial a much longer number?

A: You could configure the phone line's dial plan to recognize and accept a short number and then dial a longer number. For example, if you want to dial #10 [hash/pound, one, zero] and have the phone dial 13035551212 you could add the following to the front of phone's extension's dial plan: "<#10: 13035551212>|"  (without "" quotes)

This must be on the left-most side of the dial plan definition to make sure that it receives the first match.

In addition, make sure that there are no #10 (or whatever you use) vertical service activation codes on the phone [Regional tab] or on your call control.

When you dial #10, the phone will send out 13035551212 as the dialed string.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

ntopbrick
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon, Patrick.

We are preparing for a migration of subscribers from another MSO.  They are using SPA2102s.  During our system and interoperability testing, we foolishly assumed these subs would be running a more recent version of firmware than what comes out of the box (v3.3.6).  I successfully upgraded two of our 4 devices to the latest v5.2.12 and completed most of my test cases...only to learn today the production devices are still on the old v3.3.6.

I have not been able to find any information on:

a) how to downgrade / revert / roll-back to the previous release that was installed

b) where a download exists for the old v3.3.6 firmware binary

c) if a factory reset will restore the old firmware revision as well as default settings

d) how to save the current configuration settings to a file via the web interface (if I am lucky enough to be able to downgrade, that is)

Any information or assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,  BobD

Hi Bob,

Not sure if you've seen this page, but it's a great resource for most things ATA:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9888

The Admin Guide contains most, if not all that you're looking for:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/csbpvga/ata/administration/guide/ATA_AG_v3_NC-WEB.pdf

I'll address each of your questions here:

a) how to downgrade / revert / roll-back to the previous release that was installed

Upgrading/Downgrading is accomplished using any of the following means:

Using the exe file and upgrading devices one at a time

Using an URL to upgrade: http:///admin/upgrade?tftp:///pathToBinFile

Using the upgrade rule in the device's provisioning file and then when the device resyncs, it will upgrade/downgrade

b) where a download exists for the old v3.3.6 firmware binary

This is no longer available on Cisco.com. We'd prefer you to use a  current version of firmware so you do not run into issues that have  already been fixed. If you really need the old firmware, contact me at  paborn at cisco and I'll do my best to locate for you.

c) if a factory reset will restore the old firmware revision as well as default settings

No, a factory reset only resets all values to the factory default of the version of installed firmware.

d)   how to save the current configuration settings to a file via the web   interface (if I am lucky enough to be able to downgrade, that is)

This may help you:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9896

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: