cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

basic cisco ip phone provisioning and unlock (noob needs help)

tobywhiting10
Level 1
Level 1

hello all, 

I recently acquired a bunch of Cisco phones specifically SPA514G, SPA525G, and one CP-8851

The phones are registered to Vodafone meaning in the status menu under customization they show Vodafone. after looking around I understand this is not something that can be easily removed but this is fine.

for the SPA514G’s:

I can factory reset the device removing the previous configuration and I can gain full administrative access to the web Configurator.

Q1: No real issues here but because of this administrative access, is it possible to remove the Vodafone customization?

for the SPA525G’s:

despite factory resetting the phones multiple times the web Configurator (right term?), admin login panel is password protected. I will contact the original owners of the phones and try to work out something to get this password (unlikely).

Q2: until then, is there a way to remove such a password as without access to the admin page I cannot configure the phone (as I'm sure you know). From what I can tell the provisioning configuration from the previous owner removes a lot of items from the settings menu. tricks like pushing certain buttons during boot to remove configurations would potentially be more helpful if such exists.

For the 8851:

I have also managed to factory reset this phone but this device appears to prioritize previous provisioning configurations, so the web portal is disabled and I do not have a way of enabling it. In the settings menu, it does say the web server is enabled however most of the settings are unchangeable. it keeps giving me an error saying “update aborted with error. failed to connect to server” * presumably because the previous provisioning server is no longer online.

NOTE: the “profile rule” for provisioning on this particular phone is set to activate.cisco.com, unlike all the other phones which have a Vodafone provisioning URL.

Q3: What steps could I take to potentially get this phone working, I only have one of them so it's not a big deal.

Provisioning:

I have done a fair amount of research and I think I have a basic understanding of provisioning although I have a few questions regarding it.

to my knowledge provisioning is the downloading of an XML file from a server which the phone then uses to configure all settings and connect to a PBX whether that be on-premise or in the cloud.

Q4: is this roughly correct

furthermore in a lot of the forums I see people mentioning settings in the format “<webAccess>0</webAccess>” .

Q5: I would like to know where this comes from (the provisioning file?)

I can understand you can download a phone's config file. how do you do that? based on forums I've got a feeling it is through the CUCM program and some more information on this and exactly how it provisioning works, in general, would be helpful.

Sorry for the long and wordy post but I'd rather make one than multiple. hope it's in the right place as well.

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

0 Replies 0