cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic UC540/560 Questions

PoulosEsq
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering moving from my 1986 Merlin System to a UC 540/560. I will have a Comcast business internet conenction and a VoIP vendor providing the phone service over the internet.

What I cannot figure out is how the UC 540/560 hooks up to the VoIP service. Am I correct in that it is a simple as plugging an ethernet cable into the unit just like plugging one into a computer and it picks up the VoIP traffic which is directed to my public IP number through the appropriate port? Or do I need some additional hardware?

One point that confuses me is the option for either 4 FXO prots or 2 BRI ports. I cannot tell from the documentation is this is the input rather than an ethernet jack. If so, I am not sure which one I would need.

One last question. The 540 has 10/100 ethernet ports while the 560 has 10/100/1000 ethernet ports. If I am running gigbit ethernet on my office network over a network swich, would a 540 slow things down to 10/100?

Thank you for your help.

Michael Poulos

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

Comcast is a cable provider. They always do ethernet handoff from their cable modems in my experience.

I've worked on a fair amount of deployments doing SIP over cable internet... I cannot say I would recommend it, but it USUALLY works well. (its the cases were it doesn't work well that turn into a nightmare)

Michael -- just a heads up -- the configuration of the UC500 is NOT end-user friendly. If you do not have advanced knowledge of Networking/Telephony, I would really recommend working with a Cisco partner.

I havn't worked with Voice Walker, but I can definetely recommend Flowroute.

We have used NexVortex as well... but have had mixed experiences with them.

Also, so you are aware -- many of the "T1" carriers can provide a T1 with SIP included with full, guarunteed QOS.

Earthlink, TDS, Windstream, CBeyond, etc, all offer this. Generally you can get 1.5mbit + SIP phone service for 200-300$, if you want a 3mbit circuit, expect 300-400$. This varies by carrier (and area). If your phone service is business critical to you, I recommend going this route.

If you have problems with SIP over your cable connection -- Comcast is probably not going be able (or willing) to help. They do not provide any QOS guaruntees.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

I will try to answer your questions as best as I can

What I cannot figure out is how the UC 540/560 hooks up to the VoIP  service. Am I correct in that it is a simple as plugging an ethernet  cable into the unit just like plugging one into a computer and it picks  up the VoIP traffic which is directed to my public IP number through the  appropriate port? Or do I need some additional hardware?

This depends on how your WAN connection works, if Comcast provide you a router that works via Ethernet, then you plug this directly into the WAN port of the UC-540/560 and use CCA to configure it with the WAN credentials that Comcast give you, normally/typically this is a Static IP assignment with no need for PPPoE authentication (With most cable systems)

The UC-500 will prioritize the VoIP traffic for you when you use CCA to configure the machine, you can control this in the same section you put your ITSP provider details in (Your VoIP provider that is), so when you create the SIP trunk in CCA, you can also designate the WAN priority for the VoIP traffic so that voice takes precedence over data, which is also highly recommended and encouraged as well

One point that confuses me is the option for either 4 FXO prots or 2 BRI  ports. I cannot tell from the documentation is this is the input rather  than an ethernet jack. If so, I am not sure which one I would need.

This is only relevant if you are going through traditional carrier services, unless of course your ITSP (VoIP provider) is giving you some form of VoDSL (Voice Over DSL) type service that has a termination unit before the system, and they then require you to terminate this using a voice card on the UC, however you still need to choose an option and no matter what I would highly recommend and encourage you to go down the 2BRI path as FXO lines are just woeful to use and severely limit you to the functionality of the system due to the inherent nature of FXO lines.

One last question. The 540 has 10/100 ethernet ports while the 560 has  10/100/1000 ethernet ports. If I am running gigbit ethernet on my office  network over a network swich, would a 540 slow things down to 10/100?

Yes and No... I know not a clear answer, but this depends on how your network topology is going to look, if you are wanting to go pure unified communications and router your computer network through the back of the phones, then you may one to go Gig-E all the way, but then this poses another problem for you You will need to purchase Gig-E phones and there is not a lot of them in the SPA-500 series to choose from that are fully supported or even officially supported as of yet.

So my recommendation is, make sure there is 2X RJ-45 jacks at each work station, one for the phone and one for the PC, the PC's connect directly into a Gig-E switch and the phones can connect to either a SF-300 or an SG-300 switch, the latter being a Gigabit based switch. However this increases your base costs as you have to have two separate switches and more RJ-45 ports have to be catered for at every work station, but it does allow you to put some robustness into the network, it truly comes down to how you wish for the network to perform and what you want to try and achieve with it as to what flavor you choose to move forward with

There... Either I helped you out or just confused you even more LOL

Keep asking questions on here, I am sure others would be willing to throw their quarter into the mix

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

This is extraordinarily helpful. I am going to find out what the Comcast inteface is and I may have a follow up question I hope you or someone else can answer. Comcast, by the way, would not be a "cable TV" connection. They are an agressive business internet provider in the Chicago area, and the likely VoIP provier (Voice Walker) suggested I consider Comcast as a faster and less expensive internet connection, although with some QOS reservations inherent in running a s ervice through two different vendors.

Thank you very much.

Michael Poulos

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

Comcast is a cable provider. They always do ethernet handoff from their cable modems in my experience.

I've worked on a fair amount of deployments doing SIP over cable internet... I cannot say I would recommend it, but it USUALLY works well. (its the cases were it doesn't work well that turn into a nightmare)

Michael -- just a heads up -- the configuration of the UC500 is NOT end-user friendly. If you do not have advanced knowledge of Networking/Telephony, I would really recommend working with a Cisco partner.

I havn't worked with Voice Walker, but I can definetely recommend Flowroute.

We have used NexVortex as well... but have had mixed experiences with them.

Also, so you are aware -- many of the "T1" carriers can provide a T1 with SIP included with full, guarunteed QOS.

Earthlink, TDS, Windstream, CBeyond, etc, all offer this. Generally you can get 1.5mbit + SIP phone service for 200-300$, if you want a 3mbit circuit, expect 300-400$. This varies by carrier (and area). If your phone service is business critical to you, I recommend going this route.

If you have problems with SIP over your cable connection -- Comcast is probably not going be able (or willing) to help. They do not provide any QOS guaruntees.

We made the switch to SIP over cable and I too would not recommend it, calls will drop or not ring at all. I have calls forwarded to a POTS so we don't miss calls when the cable drops or has high ping times. Lucky Comcast has extended Ethernet over fiber in my area, 10mg = $500

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App