Views
Helpful
Replies

No IVR or menu - SPA8000

pariss127
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have been doing much reading and searching. I have a SPA8000 that was in use last year. I purchased the unit new (unlocked), then furnished the MAC  to a service provider. Upon, where, they configured the unit. Now I am using another service provider. I cannot access the admin side of the gui, only the user. 

I want to reset this unit. Any analog phone I connect to any port will not yield the IVR. I try the four stars and other menu options but it does not invoke the IVR. The RJ45/Cat cables are disconnected.

What am I missing? 

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I cannot access the admin side of the gui, only the user. 

Because it's not here at all, or because it's asking for password you don't know ?

I try the four stars and other menu options but it does not invoke the IVR.

This unit can be locked so no one but administrator can unlock it. For the purpose of previous sentence, the administrator is the person who know the admin password. It seems you are not administrator of such kind. Access to unit can't be restored by unauthorized person, e.g. you.

Such kind of lock is not active by default, but can be activated.

If you granted administrator's access to an untrusted person and this person activated lock against factory-default reset, then you are out of luck. Only the administrator password can unlock the unit now.

Sometime it's possible to break in, if not locked properly, by man-in-the-middle method, but it depend of exact configuration and may not work at all.

There is no admin logon window to enter credentials. I do an IP scan and see the IP of the unit but nothing comes up when I try to access with a browser. The other IP's are for the user, I assume, since a window pops up after I put in the IP. It shows me status and other limited/un-configurable information/tabs (voice/system). 

This unit was my own personal ATA that was to stay with me. I worked for the service provider that registered the unit for me but never told me he locked it. The company is now disbanded and I need this unit for another provider. I do not need any information that was configured on this device so I would appreciate any information about how to reset to factory defaults.

Thank you for your reply.

There is no admin logon window to enter credentials.

Well, I have no SPA8000, so my conclusions are based on experience with other ATAs, but it look like an customized firmware has been flashed into unit. I such case no advice based on standard behavior may apply to you.

As far as I know, there is one IP per ATA8000 only.

By the way, whats the value of "Customization" option on status page ?

The LAN IP for this unit is 192.168.0.1 that allows me to access basic and advanced Network, status, wan status, pan status, and application--Voice, info and system. I cannot add, nor do I see where, sip server registration values as I would in any other at a (spa 1001, 2101 etc).  

I can make changes in wan status to change wan ip settings.

"Customization" reads "open"

I know that this unit can be reset as opposed to my other ata's that are locked. Can I debug, reinstall firmware, any jtag options...?

Much appreciated.

OK, it look like standard firmware with just admin access and IVR disabled.

I know that this unit can be reset as opposed to my other ata's that are locked.

Even Customization=open devices can be locked the way you can't unlock them with no admin password known. Admin WWW UI can be disabled as well as IVR factory reset.

1. debug
2. reinstall firmware
3. jtag

JTAG is just theoretical solution. There's no documentation either official nor unofficial. I assume it's cheaper to buy another SPA8000 than spent hours to develop JTAG recovery method.

Reinstall firmware is also not solution - you have no access to /admin/ subtree of WWW GUI. In advance, saved configuration is not deleted during firmware upgrade.

Se the only method not excluded yet is debug. Yes, it may (or may not) help. Observe network activities of the SPA. May be it's periodically looking for remote configuration. In such cast you may have luck. If you can become man-in-the-middle you may supply own configuration to device in question. But it will not work if device has been locked properly, as it will reject un-authenticated configuration.

oh my...

I am disappointed but I am grateful for your time, expertise, and understanding!!

I agree with all of your speculation and knowledge. I am in an unusual crisis at this this time and I would usually just purchase another unit. My curiosity and need to be frugal upon a startup has me going as far as possible to work with devices that I have in my possession as my testing platform. 

Onward...

Thanks again for the support, I feel absolutely confident that I will continue to receive excellent information and support from this forum. It's been a while since I have been here and had to re-register my account. 

I hope this thread will be useful to any other individual(s) who have exhausted there own resources in finding a solution in this matter. I will monitor this thread every so often to see if any other fix becomes available as technology and it's needs change over time.

All the best,

P

There's something we all should learn from it.

Never give exclusive access to someone else unless you are sure he can be trusted. 

Consider rating of useful comments, if you feel there's one.