Views
Helpful
Replies

Options for PoE switches to power SPA502/504/525G IP Phones

rakinonz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We're putting in a Cisco UC320W PBX-like box into a small client.

They want to power over the network as power-sockets are in short-supply.

I'm finding that PoE switches are a bit tricky.

Often there are fewer PoE ports than indicated in the specs. One sees this often as part of a negative comment on a Cisco PoE switch ("8 ports but wasn't until I plugged it in that I found out only 4 ports supplied PoE" etc.).

What are the options for providing PoE to SPA502/504/525G Cisco IP phones?

Current requirement is 4 ports, but this may change upwards.

So 8-port options? Without breaking the bank?

Also, I'd be interested any PoE gotchas in relation to Cisco IP phones in general. I conclude that earlier Cisco phones were pre 802.3af compliant, and that there are some issues with ACTUAL 802.3af-compliant devices (like switches!).

Thank you!

Robin

12 Replies 12

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Robin,

From your question,i guess you ae looking for some in budget switch which can power on 4 to 8 phones...You can go for new models 2960-C and 3560-C,which come in 8 ports poe variants.

Hi Ankur, thanks for the reply.

The 2960-C and 3560-C are hard budget switches for a small business product!

Is there a current equivalent for the SRW208P or SF 302-08P ?

(for example).

Cheers

Robin

Are these phones compatible with any 802.3af-compliant switch?

Robin

Hmm...I was under impression that these are the cheapest available catalyst switches as of today...These were specifically launched for small businesses with lower port density..Not sure about SRW208P or SF 302-08P.

Thanks Ankur.

Well, these Catalyst switches are almost twice the cost of the UC320W!

So can the SPA504 IP Phone be used with switches from other manufacturers as long as they are 802.3af compliant?

Cheers

Robin

All the phones which are 802.3 af compliant can be used with other manufacturers...But i am not sure if these phones are 802.3 af compliant or not.

Hmmm.

According to this, the SPA504 is 802.3af-compliant:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10499/data_sheet_c78-548564.pdf

So is that a "yes"?

Cheers

Robin

Current requirement is 4 ports, but this may change upwards.

Is that all?  You can get power injectors.

Thanks Ieolaohoo.

Do you have any injectors in mind?

Do you have any experience with power injectors and Cisco 500-series IP phones?

I am maybe looking at a multi-power injector, but maybe better still use a third-party 802.3af-compliant switch?

Thank you!

Robin

I am maybe looking at a multi-power injector, but maybe better still use a third-party 802.3af-compliant switch?

Try this:  http://www.phihong.com/html/midspans_15_4w_port.html

Thanks Leolaohoo, I'll take a look!

Robin

Don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: