cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 no answer with some inbound calls

maxd
Level 1
Level 1

I am using an SPA112 adapter with my Voip.ms account. All outbound calls are good but, some inbound calls (not all) are causing a problem. When the phone rings, I pick up the call but, there is only silence and the caller continues to hear the ringing tone. When I hang up the call the SPA112 reboots and comes back on line in about 20 seconds. The support techs at Voip.ms tried to help but, could not solve the issue and assumed it was a faulty adapter. I have updated the adapter firmware to the latest version (1.4.1SR1).

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When the phone rings, I pick up the call but, there is only silence and the caller continues to hear the ringing tone. When I hang up the call the SPA112 reboots and comes back on line in about 20 seconds.

Turn on syslog&debug messages of SPA112's Voice Application and catch them. They may disclose a cause (or something related, at least). Also, it would be nice to have network traffic (both SIP packets as well as RTP audio stream) captured.

No way to guess cause with no information related to the case. But yes, it may (or may not) be faulty adapter, of course.

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply. I have no experience with syslog & debug with regards to the SPA112 and don't know how to accomplish this task. Obviously, I need to educate myself on this subject and would appreciate any help and or pointers to relevant resources which I could reference.

According syslog just follow Debug and syslog Messages from SPA1x2 and SPA232D ATA (Analog Telephone Adapters).

Capture of network traffic require basic knowledge of local area networks principles and especially - how network switches are handling traffic. Ask your local network administrator for help - it's faster way than learn it in full.

Hi Dan, I don't have the luxury of a local network administrator. I am running a small home based business and if there are issues, I need to resolve them myself. Discussion groups are a valuable resource for me and I usually start with them in my search for help and advice.

Do you have local area network ? Do you maintaining it ? Then *you* are local network administrator in question ;-) May be you have just no luxury of knowledge required to do it

OK, stop joking.

For the purpose of packets capture you need to know that network switch doesn't forward packets to every port - you can't capture packets running a software on computer unless packets in question are delivered to them. For basics read Networking hardware, Lesson 2: Switches and bridges (for example - there are may valuable learning materials related to it).

Ask in doubt - be sure I will answer questions.

Hi Dan, I'm glad you can find some amusement in the situation but, for me it is a serious issue. Thank-you for the link to the learning materials. It was an interesting read, if a bit vague with regards to my issue. Hopefully, there is someone else in the discussion group who may be able to offer some more specific advice or help.

It was an interesting read, if a bit vague with regards to my issue.

Remember - we need just captured syslog&debug and SIP+RTP session. The document I advised should be enough for such purpose. You need not to become LAN expert now.

So sorry - it seems you are not so satisfied with my attempt to help. I wish you someone else will provide you better advice. But even someone else will appreciate data to analyse.