Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA303 and WBP54G

celticbrooder
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post his inquiry, please recommend I re-post to the appropriate section.

Also, while not fully versed in everything networks, will tend to use descriptive language.

Situation: Zorin OS 16.3 PCs (Ubuntu/Linux), internet access via coaxial cable-connected ARRIS model TG2482B/UK P2 router (multi-port LAN, WiFi- 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Router, in rented apartment, located in living room; Not willing to poke a hole in the common wall for Ethernet/LAN cable to PC located in kitchen, interested in installing SPA 303 IP Phone, co-located with Kitchen PC (currently internet-connected via 5GHz WiFi).

1) As mentioned in SPA300 series Quick Start Guide, Cisco WBP54G is recommended to adapt WiFi connection to Ethernet/LAN;

1a) As WBP54G is listed as “end-of-life”, what is the Cisco “successor” to WBP54G?

2) The aforementioned SPA 303 IP Phone has a “SW” LAN port (for incoming connection), as well as a “PC” LAN port (self-explanatory). As the WBP54G has only one LAN port, this would fit my needs quite nicely.

Afterthought: if the aforementioned “successor” had 2 LAN ports would/could this also make my Canon iX6850 printer (with LAN port) available to all connected PCs? (to date, said printer is connected, via USB, to the “kitchen PC”… which is sufficient)

3) Does Cisco offer Skype-like VOIP services? Or, recommend an affiliated service?

Key features sought:

3a) “Fixed” “landline” (aka “Trunk”?) telephone number, accessible to callers as conventional telephone (and/or cellular); to ring via VOIP, either my PC or SPA303 (currently living in Poland)

3b) Calling from Poland, via VOIP/U.S. landline number, called person, or institution, would show said number on Caller ID? (this is particularly useful when calling my Credit Union, as well as the VA, and relatives)

3c) TXT/SMS messaging would also be useful.

I hope that this somewhat verbose posting paints an understandable picture presented;

I am terminating all Microsoft-associated services (i.e. Skype,etc.); hence, Zorin OS, Google Chrome, gmail.etc.

Any useful information, as well as more effective suggested solutions, would be greatly appreciated.

This is solely for personal, residential purposes, during my tenure in Poland.

Thank you,

John

0 Replies 0