cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G call transfer fails

macyman59
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SPA504G and can never transfer an incoming call to another number dialed. I can only have a 3 way conference call but can never actually transfer the incoming call to another number I dial on the phone. I always get "Transfer Failed".

Any ideas?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Phone sends just call transfer request. If such request is rejected by PBX the phone is connected to, no transfer will occur.

Just hypothesis - one from many as you disclosed no issue details. Capture SIP dialog - it will allow us to narrow the issue cause.

how exactly do I capture SIP dialog?

Thanks

It depend on your LAN topology, vendor and model of switches, operating system used on the computer used to capture packet, ...

No generic advise possible here.

Ask your LAN administrator for help - he will be skilled enough to capture packets.

I don't have a LAN administrator as I handle most of this myself. I have a Mac OSX EL Capitan 10.11.4. My phone is SPA504g which is connected to a Netgear FS605v3 switch, that in turn is connected to a Netgear GS108GTv2, which is then connected to an LTE router Zyxel 7410-A214.

Can you point me at least in the right direction please?

Even if you have no LAN administrator, you should ask someone fammiiar with networking for help. Misconfiguration of switches may break your LAN.

But if you wish to live on the edge ...

FS605v3 supports no port mirroring as far as I know. GS108GTv2 may have port mirroring support (note I'm no Netgear expert). So you need connect SPA504G to port X of GS108, your MAC to port Y of the same switch, port mirroring from port X to port Y needs to be configured on the switch (follow documentation of GS108GT). In such case the Wireshark running on your Mac should be able to catch SIP packets sent from SPA504G.

But I'm unsure your skills are enough for it. So consider different approach instead.

As I claimed, call transfer itself is feature of PBX< not the SPA504G. The SPA504G just requests such feature from PBX. I don't know why PBX is refusing such request and screenshots of SPA504G disclose nothing about PBX.

So just call your phone operator and claim the issue. May be the answer will be surprisingly simple - such feature is not supported by your operator at all, or it needs to be ordered/subscribed/paid first. Or it needs to be invoked by a provider-specific procedure (sequence of keys) so standard method used by SPA504G can't be used. Or so ...

how about screenshots of webpage phone configuration...would that help you?

Thanks again