Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows7 AnyConnect connection issue

I have recently encountered a problem with cisco's VPN anyconnect.  I have read several posts describing problems similar to this one, but none of the resolutions posted for those questions resolved my issue, so I am appealing for help from the community.

I'm a doctoral student, and my university uses cisco's anyconnect VPN Client 2.5.6005.  I've used this in the past without difficulty, but I recently started encountering an error, which has stumped the IT department (and me) and I would appreciate any help you can give.

I'm running a windows7 64 bit machine.  When I connect to the university's system, I get a connection, some bytes are transferred and received, and, inevitably, 19 seconds later, I get disconnected.  The message that displays on this disconnect is: "a vpn reconnect resulted in different configuration settings. The VPN network interface is being reinitialized, please wait" .

This process repeats several times (the icon in the tray shifts between showing the locked connection and the warning exclamation point).  After four or five attempts, the connection gives up and displays the following message: "Connection was terminated due to a system routing table modification and could not be automatically re-established. A new connection is necessary, which requires re-authentication."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled (rebooting in between) several times ... twice making sure to go through the entire HD and delete anything cisco or VPN related after the uninstall to make sure that I didn't have "old" connections cluttering up the process. 

Trying to research the problem, I thought it might be the timing problem described here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2077005, which indicates that a similar problem was caused by invalid mtu settings, so I reset both the ipv4 and ipv6 netsh subinterfaces to 1200 ... no luck. 

I've tried dropping my firewall to install the VPN, doublechecked the firewall settings to make sure that the cisco VPN adapter is allowed to access, added the university's site to my trusted sites, and a number of other things I can't remember right now, but I still have the same problem.

For further information, I'm on a home network, wireless connection -- my mac laptop can access the same VPN with no difficulties, but both of the windows7 machines (one desktop, one laptop) have this connection problem.  The connection problem preceded my installing it on the mac, too, so I wouldn't think it was a license problem. 

I am absolutely baffled, and would greatly appreciate any help you can give. I'm supposed to be finishing my research for this semester, not battling this connectivity issue.  I

2 Replies 2

scott.vanepps
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem and have tried all other solutions described on various discussion threads.  If anyone has any ideas or figures this out I would appreciate the help.

I don't know what you've tried, but I did fix my issue, so I'll provide that solution.

(This was after dozens of failed attempts at doing other things, so it's possible that something did in those affected this solution, I could swear I'd tried it before - and some of this may be redundant)

Uninstalled VPN Anyconnect.

Went through the machine and deleted anything related to VPN or cisco.

Uninstalled microsoft security essentials. - my av program, which, since it was microsoft, I thought was "native" not add-on.

Disabled Windows Firewall

Rebooted machine

Re-Dowloanded and reinstalled VPN anyconnect

Connected to server

Re-enabled firewall

Re-downloaded and re-installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

Success.