Views
Helpful
Replies

Active Standby Site to Site VPN Firepower

SenglyHuot3269
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

I want to know how to configure Active Standby site to site VPN. Not with 2 firepower in HA pair but 2 internet link in one firepower. With this 2 internet link one is primary with default route of metric 1 and the other is backup with metric 2. While i configure this only one VPN is up (with primary internet) and the other one is not. So would you all en light me on how to configure that. Notice that i use Firepower Management Center. Also, you can find the scenario in below picture. 

6 Replies 6

I would suggest configuring SLA tracking of the primary link and not just use metic.

The second VPN tunnel will never be up unless there is traffic passing over the VPN.  If there is no traffic the tunnel will time out and be torn down.  Only true way of testing this is to initiate a failover situation, i.e. link failure on the primary interface for the VPN.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Yes i have done the SLA and also try to do the failover by disable the primary link but the second VPN tunnel never goes up. Also, it is difficult to see the log on firepower management center so i have no idea on what the error.

Just disabling the link will not initiate a failover as that is a controlled / admin initiated command.  You will need to pull the cable connected to the primary interface.

--

Then what is SLA for if we need to pull the cable out. Also, the hardware is not near us, it is in the DC

Sorry, misread your post that you had configured SLA.

How have you configured your VPN? Are you using a backup peer or configured a whole new connection for the backup?  Could you post screenshots of your VPN configuration (remember to black-out any public IPs, passwords, etc.)?

--

I have create 2 VPN by choosing Firepower Thread Defense Device, and both of them using point to point, with 2 difference public ip (Node A), and for Node B by choosing external device i configure the same publich IP of Palo Alto device of the other side.