cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After VPN connection is established over Cisco Anyconnect VPN, internet connection stops working

Aerox1996
Level 1
Level 1

Hello together,

I normally use the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client to connect to my university's network when I'm working from home.

For some time, it hasn't been working any more. As soon as I establish a connection over the VPN client, I can not browse any pages in my browser any more, even when before the internet (ethernet and wifi) have been working perfectly.

If I then disconnect the VPN client again, the internet starts working again.

I couldn't fix the problem myself by browsing various communities, so any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

If you need any further information to get a better overview, let me know.

Best regards,

Aerox1996

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The University may have changed their VPN policy to not allow "split tunnel" (i.e. sends only University-bound traffic over the VPN and allows you to continue to use your local Internet otherwise).

You can check this while connected by opening the AnyConnect user interface in your system tray and clicking on the "gear" icon. In the resultant details box, look at the "route details" tab associated with the VPN. If it says 0.0.0.0/0 then they are forcing all traffic to their network. Normally when we do that we allow the remote network to "hairpin" your traffic out to the Internet but it's optional.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: