Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect 4.5 and Yubikey

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I have an installation whereby I cannot connect using AnyConnect 4.5.01044 (on Windows 10) when a Yubico Yubikey is present. This is because the certificate required is on the machine, not the Yubikey (which is presenting a Smart Card certificate store). Is there any way (through policy or AC profiles) to force AnyConnect to ignore the (empty) certificate store on the Yubikey?

Cheers,
Matt

4 Replies 4

Josue Brenes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

This was determined to be an issue with yubikey, not a Cisco problem.

In order to fix it, please, do the following:

We can disable the "Smartcard Removal Feature" using the smartcard-removal-disconnect command:

group-policy name attributes

smartcard-removal-disconnect disable.

Rate if it helps.

Regards,

Josue Brenes

TAC - VPN Engineer.

This is not an issue with Yubikey removal. The certificate required for VPN access in on the machine; this together with a second factor username/password provides access. When the Yubikey is inserted, it presents an (empty) certificate store to the host, and AnyConnect cannot then find the user certificate for authentication. Is there a way to select the certificate store, or ignore the empty store on the Yubikey (or indeed any other smart card)?

Fix for us was to use the yubikey manager app to disable the CCID/smartcard interface on the key - this way no empty store is presented and the local machine/local user is used as expected

Hi there.

Reaching out to you guys in hope of some help.

Company has decided to go down the Yubikey route for higher login security. We have AD and work with user/pass verification at login.

Our ASA/Anyconnect setup is working based on the AD being set as the validating identity for the user/pass combo given at Anyconnect connection attempt.

The yubikey will be a passwordless system i am told ... So i am wondering what changes to make in the ASA to make this work?

I read some articles about setting Yubikey as the 2nd factor  - but in our case i think it will be 1st and only factor. Any guidance will be highly appreciated.