Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect Always-on not work

mike kao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I Deployed Always-on VPN on ASA5510 (software version 9.1).

I used a Windows PC to connect, the Always-On work fine.

But on iphone (ios8.1.2) or android smartphone the Always-On did not work.

Tried to  specific the "always connect" server list in anyconnect profile Alway-on still not connect.

My reference document:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect31/administration/guide/anyconnectadmin31/ac03vpn.html#pgfId-1205144

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vishnu Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

Always on and TND is not supported on mobile platforms. Yes, you are referring to the correct document however it talks about the Windows and Mac OSX and it doesn't talk about the mobile platforms. Please see below why it is not supported. 

1. Always On (enforced) VPN - Including Web Security Appliance tie-ins *

Always On cannot be implemented on iOS because of limitations in the operating system. Also, this functionality might not be at all desirable from a user perspective, as it would have ramifications for battery life and could be chatty as the iPhone moved from wifi to 3g and back under poor signal conditions.
  2. Trusted Network Detection

TND is not possible on iOS due to limitations in the operating system. The next-best thing is to use the iOS "VPN on Demand" functionality, which can be used to direct AnyConnect to launch whenever specified hosts are contacted.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,

Vishnu 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vishnu Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

Always on and TND is not supported on mobile platforms. Yes, you are referring to the correct document however it talks about the Windows and Mac OSX and it doesn't talk about the mobile platforms. Please see below why it is not supported. 

1. Always On (enforced) VPN - Including Web Security Appliance tie-ins *

Always On cannot be implemented on iOS because of limitations in the operating system. Also, this functionality might not be at all desirable from a user perspective, as it would have ramifications for battery life and could be chatty as the iPhone moved from wifi to 3g and back under poor signal conditions.
  2. Trusted Network Detection

TND is not possible on iOS due to limitations in the operating system. The next-best thing is to use the iOS "VPN on Demand" functionality, which can be used to direct AnyConnect to launch whenever specified hosts are contacted.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,

Vishnu 

Hi Vishnu,

Thank you very much!

Where can I find the document that explain Apple iOS not support Always-on VPN?

Hi Mike,

There is no external link that I can share for the same. 

Thanks,

Vishnu