cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect for a shared printer

PETER NEGUS
Level 1
Level 1

I have a group of users at a remote site who use the AnyConnect SSL VPN client over a DSL line. However, they now want to share an ethernet-attached Xerox Workcentre 5775 printer. The printer is a sophisticated multi-functional device which can scan into a shared drive back at HQ. It also needs to be supported by our helpdesk who are back at HQ, and need access into the box.

Is there any way that I can connect the printer to the network with a hardware client? I remember that there was a hardware box for the VPN 3000 series that did this. Presumably a low end router might do the trick.

Has anyone had any experience with split tunnelling to Xerox printers - if so, please can you share the config!

1 Reply 1

Todd Pula
Level 7
Level 7

The VPN3k platform is EOL so I wouldn't steer you in that direction.  For always-on network connectivity, you can look at implementing an 800 series router or an ASA5505.  You can then look into an IPSec solution such as EasyVPN to connect the spoke back to your head end router or ASA.  Depending on the number of endpoints at this location, you can connect the PCs/printer directly to the available switchports on these hardware platforms or connect a separate switch behind.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6586/ps6635/ps6659/data_sheet_c78-457320.html

Todd