Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Idle Timeout Issue

james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my AnyConnect SSL VPN sessions where the idle timeout is not working. I've set the idle timeout to be 30 minutes, yet I can see clients that have been idle for over 2 days without being disconnected. Below is the group policy which is being applied to my clients:

group-policy SSL-Full attributes

wins-server value <IP>

dns-server value <IP>

dhcp-network-scope <IP>

vpn-simultaneous-logins 2

vpn-idle-timeout 30

vpn-session-timeout none

vpn-tunnel-protocol ssl-client

group-lock none

split-tunnel-policy tunnelall

ipv6-split-tunnel-policy tunnelall

split-tunnel-network-list none

default-domain value <domain>

split-dns value <domain>

split-tunnel-all-dns enable

msie-proxy method no-proxy

smartcard-removal-disconnect enable

They are using client version 3.1.02026 with the ASA being a 5520 on version 9.1(1). Any help that can be provided would be most useful.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

I guess the question is - what do you consider idle.

Idle user does not mean that network stack is not busy, keepalives/updates for various apps (AV trying to update signatures?) and broadcasts will still flow over the network interface.

You can consider setting:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa90/command/reference/v.html#wp1664651

to one-or-two days.

M.

Thanks for the reply. I should of made that a bit clearer in the first post, but when I say idle I mean that the user has normally put their computer in hibernation mode without disconnecting the VPN first. There is no traffic passing between their computer and the ASA and the inactivity timer in ASDM will increment as well.

I was going to do as you suggest and just set a maximum session timer, but I work for a 24 hour organisation and I have in fact seen live sessions stay up for a long period of time.

Ultimately this may be the route I have to take as the usage of the AnyConnect client is about to skyrocket here and I can't afford to have licenses tied up.

Thanks

Hopefully this picture demonstrates it a bit better:

The inactivity timer is above the threshold of 30 minutes and from my understanding, this timer wouldn't increment if the laptop was still powered on and the VPN client active. As you mentioned, the constant AV updates, AD communication and various other bits would keep the link from going inactive.

Hi,

Try add ssl keepalives on the group-policy.

Enter the commands below:

webvpn

anyconnect ssl keepalive 300

Pls rate this post and mark it as resolved if it has addressed the issue.

Best regards,

MB

________________ Best regards, MB

I left that part out of the config snippet above, but I already have SSl keepalives enabled:

webvpn

anyconnect ssl dtls enable

anyconnect mtu 1406

anyconnect ssl keepalive 20

anyconnect ssl rekey time none

anyconnect dpd-interval client 30

anyconnect dpd-interval gateway 30

anyconnect ssl compression none

anyconnect dtls compression lzs

anyconnect modules value nam,vpngina,posture

anyconnect profiles value HQFull type user

anyconnect profiles value NAM-Full type nam

anyconnect ask none default anyconnect

anyconnect ssl df-bit-ignore disable

always-on-vpn disable

Hmm...

Try the following:

vpn-idle-timeout none

webvpn

default-idle-timeout 1800

Thanks for the idea. Tried setting the default idle timeout to 1800 as suggested but I'm still seeing clients inactive for more than 30 minutse

Any further ideas I could try ?

What version of ASA code and anyconnect are you using?  I remember reading a bug in a certain version which didn't release an IP when users reach an idle or max timeout....or something to that effect.  I remember reading it and specifically testing it but couldn't reproduce it at the time.  I now make sure to test it for all upgrades we perform.

I put it in the first post, but the ASA version is 9.1(1) or if you prefer asa911-k8.bin

Anyone else have any ideas? I left it over the weekend to see if the global timeout made a difference, but this morning there was a session idle for over 2 hours before I killed it off.

Maybe we didn't understand.

If it doesn't work in below configuration, I haven't any idea

!--- Global WebVPN configuration

webvpn

enable 'Name_of_interface'

default-idle-timeout 3600

anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-2.5.2014-k9.pkg 1

anyconnect enable

!--- Your group-policy SSL-Full

group-policy SSL-Full internal

vpn-idle-timeout none

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: