cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Management Tunnel - Disconnected (connect failed)

vineshchauhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am troubleshooting an issue with our management tunnel for AnyConnect. 

AnyConnect - 4.10.06079

FMC/FTD - 7.0.4 

Followed this below guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/secure-socket-layer-ssl/217040-configure-ssl-anyconnect-management-vpn.html

I already have an existing AnyConnect profile and associated the new management.xml file within my group policy setting. 

Test clients can connect when they click "Connect"

Manually disconnected and monitored "Management Connection State" and this errors with Disconnected (connect failed). 

Triple checked everything and looks ok to me. 

Any ideas with this?

10 Replies 10

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @vineshchauhan,

This could be to numerous reasons. You'll need to check client side logs, to try to understand why is it failing (e.g. unable to read machine certificate, error in XML profile, etc.). To begin with, try with Windows Event Viewer logs.

You could upload DART file to take a look at, but that will probably contain too much information inside to disclose publicly.

Kind regards,

Milos

Hi, 

Thank you for the additional checks, I completely forgot about Windows Event logs. I will start reviewing these events. 

Machine Cert is good and auths ok when I use AnyConnect app. 

Agree DART will have too much sensitive data. 

I will keep the forum updated with any updates

Hi, Further troubleshooting with Management Tunnel. DART file showing the machine is trying to access User Store instead of Machine Cert Store. 

Profile is setup to use machine only and override option enabled

Date        : 11/24/2022

Time        : 15:58:57

Type        : Error

Source      : acvpnmgmttun

Description : Function: ConnectMgr::certAuthHasFailed

File: c:\temp\build\thehoff\phoenix_mr60.978227566292\phoenix_mr6\vpn\api\connectmgr.cpp

Line: 16807

Certificate authentication requested from gateway, no valid certs found in users cert store.

You are on the right path to figure out what is going on. Now you need to figure out why is your machine cert not eing selected - e.g. maybe it doesn't have proper EKU, or your cert matching condition is not right. You'll need to figure out what went wrong with machine cert.

Kind regards,

Milos

vineshchauhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Update on this issue. 

With help and guidance from Cisco TAC, I have managed to get the Management Tunnel working. 

I had to create a 2nd Connection Profile for Management Only and Custom URL for Management listed. 

Profile also has Tunnel Include configuration & SSL authentication. 

User Connection Profile. This has all the ACL/Dynamic Split config and XML for User and Management. I've added the Management XML in this profile so that its deployed when the user tunnel is activated. If not, I would need to deploy via SCCM.  

Now when the machine is powered on and waiting for a logon, management tunnel is activated. 

Once a user logs on, User tunnel takes over. 

Now when the machine is powered on and waiting for a logon, management tunnel is activated.// How did you valiadate this  ? While looking at anyconnect session from Firewall ? or you are still logging in as user but not connecting the VPN   ?

Hi, 

When the machine is on logon screen, I validated the connection via a SSL Certificate (Stored in Machine Store). 

I've got 2 profiles for Remote access and XML files deployed to end users:

User profile - Used when the user has logged on

Machine profile - Used when waiting on logon screen. This also has an ACL to tunnel all traffic to inside

Both profiles use same subnet for dhcp. 

I hope this helps.

thanks

Vinny 

I validated the connection via a SSL Certificate (Stored in Machine Store).// I already see Cert at Machine Store. But VPN do not connect.

2 Profile you are referring the xml files in program data > Cisco >Cisco .... > Profile Folder ?

Hi

The management xml file will be in its own folder called mgttun 

To deploy my management xml file, I used my user group policy to deploy management xml. There is a section to use management under one of the sub section.

I can send a screenshot tomorrow 

vineshchauhan_0-1694763774181.png

I've got 2 profiles setup.

Machine Group Policy

ACL to tunnel Internal subnets

Management Tunnel has a requirement to tunnel all internal traffic. Without this option set, my Mgt failed to activate.

vineshchauhan_1-1694763774185.png

I’ve left this blank under Machine Group Policy. Set under User Group Policy

vineshchauhan_2-1694763774189.png

User Group Policy

vineshchauhan_3-1694763774193.png

After logon and user connects, Management XML profile is download and installed here:

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile\MgmtTun

We use split tunnel for MS based traffic. This was added here:

vineshchauhan_4-1694763774196.png

I hope this helps. 

Thanks

Vinny 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: