Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect - RA - VPN

CISCO8006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks!

I want to deploy AnyConnect without a PKI - I want to use self signed certificates

First i create an RSA keypair for the Certificate

crypto key generate rsa label RSA_IDENT noconfirm

Enroll the Self Signed Certificate I use for the CN the Outside - IF - IP-Address

crypto ca trustpoint Trust_Ident
revocation-check none
keypair RSA_IDENT
id-usage ssl-ipsec
no fqdn
subject-name CN=10.0.0.1
enrollment self

cypto ca enroll Trust_Ident noconfirm

Asign the Trustpoint to the Outside Interface for IPSEC and SSL

ssl trust-point Trust_Ident OUTSIDE
crypto ikev2 remote-access trustpoint Trust_Ident line 2

I also export the identity-certificate in PEM Format

crypto ca export Trust_Ident identity-certificate

On the WIN7 Client I import the exported PEM - File into the "Trusted Root Certificates" (via the mmc - Certificate Console)
I also imported the PEM - File in the JAVA - Secure Site Section

After that I can built a VPN Tunnel via the AnyConnect client without any certificate - Problem

I use the URL - when the user connect's the first time to get the AnyConnect Client installed.

There is my PROBLEM - The browser has an certificate Error that the URL - From the ASA is untrusted.
I also tried to import the PEM - File from the ASA into the certificates from the browser - with no success
When i tust the offered certificate and i add it to my browsers-trusted cerfificate it sure works but it is a different cert as the one i have from the PEM-File

Where can i find the Cert. on the ASA which is used for https: - Why is this a different as the one which I assigned for the OUTSIDE IF

How can i solve the problem with the browsers - cerfificate error when i use self signed Cert on the ASA?

THANKS!

Max

2 Replies 2

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

I may be wrong but I believe the cert issued to the client is not the original one for security purposes.  If you were to give your self signed cert out to a client they could turn around and issue other certificates with it, causing a security incident.

It's like public/private key pairs.  You keep your private certificate and publish only public ones, which can be validated against the private.

Throwing packets since 2012

Hi Patrick

The cert from the ASA in the PEM - Format has only the public key in it. I "manually" give this public key on the client so there is no possibility that he get's a worng public key from the man in the middle. 

max