cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Random Disconnects for some users.

TM876
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have some users that are facing some disconnects from AnyConnect.

This is the error they get:

The server certificate received from the secure gateway during the reconnect attempt differs from the one received during the initial connection. A new connection is necessary, which requires re-authentication.

They are using AnyConnect version 4.4.02039. If anyone has any pointers on what to look for then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The server certificate received from the secure gateway during the reconnect attempt differs from the one received during the initial connection. A new connection is necessary, which requires re-authentication.

-A few thoughts that may assist:

--Test installing a newer/later AC client and see if issue goes away.  4.4 is ancient and vulnerable.

--Have you verified that the presented cert is actually different? 

--Not sure of your setup.  Can you determine that on reconnect you are hitting same VPN box? 

--Run DART on a troubled client and check event viewer log to see if anything pops out there that may assist

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. I'm not very experienced so please bear with me if I make any mistakes. I noticed that the disconnects happen around the same time so for one user logs in at 8AM then gets disconnected at around 9:40AM~, then another disconnect at 11:20AM~. This then continues and happens throughout the day. The pattern seems to repeat daily where the user get disconnected after an hour and 30 mins to 2 hours. Also some further information, it seems to be only affecting 2 users out of around 10 or so and there is also a 30 minute idle timeout for the VPN. Could it just be the idle timeout all this time?

• We have tried to update to 4.10 and the issue still happens.
  • Not sure how I would go about checking if the certs are different on client side.
  • I will try double check this but it should be hitting the same box.
  • Got the DART bundle. I'll paste below some stuff that may help. It's from AnyConnect event viewer logs. In time ascending order.

Line: 2153 Invoked Function: ::WSAGetOverlappedResult Return Code: 10054 (0x00002746) Description: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. Associated overlapped operation is ::WSARecv
Line: 801 Invoked Function: CSocketTransport::readSocket Return Code: -31588312 (0xFE1E0028) Description: SOCKETTRANSPORT_ERROR_GET_RESULT_FAILURE:The system get result call for the socket failed.
Tunnel level reconnect reason code 6: Disruption of the VPN connection to the secure gateway. Caching the default reconnect reason for SSL
The Primary SSL connection to the secure gateway is being re-established.
Line: 432 Invoked Function: ::WSASend Return Code: 10054 (0x00002746) Description: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Line: 1378 Invoked Function: CSocketTransport::internalWriteSocket Return Code: -31588341 (0xFE1E000B) Description: SOCKETTRANSPORT_ERROR_WRITE Local Addr: [192.168.0.31]:50275, Remote Addr: [{VPN Server IP}]:443
Line: 1077 Invoked Function: CSocketTransport::writeSocket Return Code: -31588341 (0xFE1E000B) Description: SOCKETTRANSPORT_ERROR_WRITE
The VPN client has sent the following close message to the gateway: Reconnecting the VPN tunnel.
A SSL Alert was sent by the client during a write operation. Severity: warning Description: close notify
VPN state: Reconnecting Network state: Network Accessible Network control state: Network Access: Restricted Network type: Undefined
Failed to verify Server Certificate. Certificate differs from previously verified.
Description: CERTSTORE_ERROR_HASH_MISMATCH
A SSL Alert was sent by the client during a write operation. Severity: fatal Description: certificate unknown
Invoked Function: SSL_do_handshake Return Code: 337047686 (0x1416F086) Description: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
Invoked Function: initialHandshake Return Code: -31457268 (0xFE20000C) Description: CERTSTORE_ERROR_HASH_MISMATCH
Description: CERTSTORE_ERROR_HASH_MISMATCH SSL tunnel state 0
Line: 1600 The HTTPS probe to {IP address of server} resulted in a redirect.
Line: 1814 SG ({IP address of server}) contacted
Termination reason code 101: The server certificate received from the secure gateway during the reconnect attempt differs from the one received during the initial connection.

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Some additional thoughts:

-Is the 2 troubled users configuration different than the working users? I would take a known good and known bad and start with comparisons: do they use the same tunnel group? Same ASA group policy? Same AC versions? Same AC VPN profile (can be found here on win clients: C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile), Same third party software on client image, etc.

-To check/add certs to local client trust stores you can do some on Windows clients via MMC (microsoft management console); the respective chain would need to be in the trust store in order to be trusted by remote clients; see here for example: How to Use the Certificates Console - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki (microsoft.com)

-Check the ASA group policy to determine if there is a max connect time configured

-The HTTPS probe to {IP address of server} resulted in a redirect. --IMO this answers the concern that you are hitting another box; Are the ASAs behind a load balancer or in a cluster?

-The server certificate received from the secure gateway during the reconnect attempt differs from the one received during the initial connection. --Verify the identity certs being presented;  Actually would be surprised if the chain was different between ASAs, but something to check.

-Engage TAC