cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client and helpdesk support

tomvolpe1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the process of establishing a new ASA VPN gateway (9.4.(1). All users are going to use the  AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.1 and two factor authentication. 

I have discovered that a VPN client can establish a VPN connection and can successfully gain access to needed internal campus computer resources.  Split tunneling is enabled so general internet access is via the clients ISP.  All is working as expected.

My issue is with our internal campus helpdesk support staff assisting the remote VPN users with local user  problems on the PC's.

Helpdesk staff can target the VPN connected device by IP address supplied by the ASA IP Pool. and can remote onto the local users PC with DameWare

Mini Remote Control software. Because our remote user do not have local admin rights on the PC the helpdesk staff have to run a 'switch user' and log into the PC with their credentials. Immediately after the helpdesk staff login the VPN tunnel is removed from the VPN gateway. 

From what I understand from reading some documentation that this is normal default behavior.  What I want to know is a way of turning off this feature?

Short of making every one a local admin on their PC is there an alternative method of allowing support staff to gain access to the PC as themselves?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bravotom99
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if this will work with switch user but you can set the 'retainVPNonLogoff' setting to true and set it to any user.  The helpdesk can then remote in, logoff the user and then log in as themselves and the VPN tunnel will remain up the entire time.   It might work with Switch user too but I haven't tested that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AnyConnect will always run in the the local user's identity space.

Helpdesk could run any commands they need by using "Run as" option and providing their admin credentials for that command / application only.

bravotom99
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if this will work with switch user but you can set the 'retainVPNonLogoff' setting to true and set it to any user.  The helpdesk can then remote in, logoff the user and then log in as themselves and the VPN tunnel will remain up the entire time.   It might work with Switch user too but I haven't tested that.

tomvolpe1
Level 1
Level 1

I took your advice bravotom99 and it worked as needed.  Thank you very much.