Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Android requirement for Jabber

david.daverso
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

Please confirm:

If I REMOTELY use Jabber on Android release 9.0(2) and want to connect to CUCM and CUP through an ASA,

then I must use Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Version 2.5.5125, even though the most current release of AC for Android is 3.0.x.

Thanks much,

David Daverso

*************supporting documentation*****************************

Release Notes for Cisco Jabber for Android, Release 9.0(2) New!  18/Sep/2012

Android devices must run Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Version 2.5.5125, which is available from the Google Play Store.

The most current AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Android and Apple IOS  is 3.0.x

Release Notes for Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, Release 3.0.x for Android New! 23/Oct/

2 Replies 2

AdamBlackNNT
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with your theory; per the documentation that is correct.

Please be aware of a gaping caveat though:

AnyConnect only works with a very, very smalls subset of Android devices and absolutely will not work on anything that isn't on the compatability list.  The only really common one I've seen that actually works is the Samsung Galaxy SII (running non-ICS).  This is because Android itself does not actually support SSL VPN; Samsung had to specifically re-work the code to work with Cisco on this.  The bottom line here is that if a phone and os combination is not on Cisco's official support list you're best off assuming it doesn't work.

Edit: Unfortunately rooting does not work either for most phones and the error message that you will see will simply reference not being able to connect properly... it's really not a verbose error that describes the phone itself not working properly with the software.

Thank you, Adam, for your feedback on the Samsung Galaxy SIII.  I'm still looking for confirmation from the BU on this.

David D.