Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect to ASA to ISE to Azure MFA - Radius retry issue

Ralphy006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
I currently use Anyconnect SSL VPN (4.5) connecting to an ASA running 9.X code.

I am transitioning to Azure MFA, and use ISE as well for authentication.

So the thought is, when logging into the VPN, the ASA would send a radius request to ISE (username and password).

ISE would then send a radius request the Azure MFA server which does the authentication of the username/password and 2-factor. I have this working assuming the user responds to the 2-factor.

I stumbled upon this scenario. If the user does NOT respond to the 2-factor and just let's it hang, the auth times out. And I can cancel out of the login prompt.

However, the ASA continues to send access-requests. Even after ISE sends a access-reject. This results in continuous 2-factor requests.

Any ideas?

ASA to ISE is set to 65 second timeout.

ISE to Azure MFA is set to 60 second timeout.

aaa-server TEST protocol radius
interim-accounting-update periodic 3
max-failed-attempts 1
merge-dacl before-avpair
dynamic-authorization
aaa-server TEST (inside) host 10.X.X.1
timeout 65
key *****
aaa-server TEST (inside) host 10.x.x.2
timeout 65
key *****

Any ideas would help!

19 Replies 19

Can you please let us know how you directly connecting to Azure Cloud for MFA using Cisco ISE and going through NPS server?

ISE doesn't support azure ad yet.

**** please remember to rate useful posts

I found that in our AnyConnect Client Profile - Even though on the Preferences 2  tab - it was set to 60 seconds for authentication timeout it was acting as if it were the default (12 sec I think) - I changed it to 90 seconds and now we have plenty of time to respond to the call.

vsurresh
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a reason not to do the authentication from ASA directly to Azure AD and then do the authorization in ISE. This is the set up I have at the moment and haven't had any issues.

I explained the steps in my blog post here: https://packetswitch.co.uk/cisco-anyconnect-with-azure-ad/

I think it's because nowadays customers most probably have a mix of ASAs or FPRs or FPRs only and firepower doesn't support saml yet