Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect user limitation on ASA5506

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused what's the maximum number of Anyconnect VPN user session on 5506.

There are two values at Maximum Cisco AnyConnect® or Clientless VPN User Sessions (AnyConnect/Apex license required): 2/50 (without and with security plus).

And the comment below the table: Requires AnyConnect Plus/Apex license. Apex license required for clientless VPN. See the AnyConnect Ordering Guide for details. Maximum users may be further limited by your throughput requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/models-comparison.html

I have ASA5506 with security plus and there are 4 Anyconnect premium peers included by default. I can extend it to 50 peers, no doubt about that.

But I'm wondering about ASA5506-X without security plus license: are there only 2 Anyconnect premium peers included by default?

And the second question: if I purchase anyconnect license (let's say anyconnect plus for 50 users) would I be able to connect 2 or 50 simoultaneous users?

6 Replies 6

paul-y
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jernej,

My understanding of the license is default 2, max with purchased license is 50(with security plus license). By default, the 2 premium license will be gone once you activate either a AnyConnect Plus or Apex license. If you have security plus, it gives you a default 4 sessions instead of 2 but the same condition should apply once you have Plus or Apex installed.

I found this link and looks like it will answer all of your questions:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa93/configuration/general/asa-general-cli/intro-license.html#20490

In the new AnyConnect licensing model, you can run Plus and Apex concurrently unlike the old Essential/Premium. Ultimately, the max session is driven by the capacity of the unit so it is just a number game how you want to distribute Plus/Apex if you choose to mix them.

Hope this helps!

Hi Paul,

thanks for this.

Regarding to this document it seems maximum 10 anyconnect clients are supported on ASA5506-X without security plus license - even if one purchases Anyconnect Plus license for 25 users or more.

Can someone from BU confirm it please, just to be sure?

Hi Jernej,

Were you able to check the Anyconnect users limit from your question?

I also would like to know what licenses are needed to support numbers of SSL VPN users on 5506-X.

BR

Hi, I have appliance with base and appliance with security plus license on my table. I'll make a test tomorrow and let you know.

Great, thank you! I will be waiting.

Please include information about what AnyConnect License you have (Plus or Apex) and ASA SW version. From what I see there are differences with licensing between 9.3 and 9.4.

Hi, I've found the following

1. ASA with security plus license and 25 APEX licenses installed

a) SW 9.3

AnyConnect Premium Peers : 25 perpetual

AnyConnect Essentials : Disabled perpetual

Other VPN Peers : 50 perpetual

Total VPN Peers : 50 perpetual

Shared License : Disabled perpetual

AnyConnect for Mobile : Enabled perpetual

AnyConnect for Cisco VPN Phone : Enabled perpetual

Advanced Endpoint Assessment : Enabled perpetual

b) SW 9.4

Other VPN Peers : 50 perpetual

Total VPN Peers : 50 perpetual

So the upper limit is 50 VPN tunnels (IPSEC+APEX).

2. ASA without security plus license

a) without APEX, SW 9.3

AnyConnect Premium Peers : 2 perpetual

Other VPN Peers : 10 perpetual

Total VPN Peers : 12 perpetual

AnyConnect for Mobile : Disabled perpetual

AnyConnect for Cisco VPN Phone : Disabled perpetual

Advanced Endpoint Assessment : Disabled perpetual

b) with APEX 25, SW 9.3

Total VPN Peers : 35 perpetual

c) with APEX, SW 9.4

Total VPN Peers : 35 perpetual

Without additional anyconnect license you have 2 premium licenses installed by default + you can establish additional 10 IPSEC tunnels.

If you install Anyconnect license additionally you still can establish 10 IPSEC tunnels + max 40 SSL VPN tunnels (I assume that based on 50 VPN tunnels limitations with security plus license).

So I would say if you use 9.3 or 9.4 version nothing changes - what information you have regarding differences with licensing between 9.3 and 9.4?