Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect VPN is not working when I am already connected with NordVPN

PavelDao42219
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, there!

I want to use two VPNs at once.

So initially, I am connected with NordVPN and then I am trying to connect to Anyconnect VPN.

But it doesn't work.

If I turn off NordVPN and try to connect with Anyconnect, it works well.

Is there any way to turn on NordVPN and then connect to Anyconnect?

Or can you provide me allowed VPN service before Anyconnect?

Thanks in advance,

Pavel

15 Replies 15

Deepthi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pavel,

I have a similar issue. I am able to connect to the ANYCONNECT VPN while I am connected to Nord/SurfShark VPNs. But, when I try accessing my servers using DNS names, they are not working. The access works via IP addresses. 

With out the Nord/SurfShark, DNS resolution works well, but with Nord/SurfShark, the DNS Server information obtained via the ANYCONNECT VPN is not being preferred. NordVPN DNS is taking preference. 

I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and a possible work around for this problem.

GO1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,
I have the same issue. Did you find a solution ?

Thank you

Oli

Am14
Level 1
Level 1

No love from the admins? This is a genuine issue!

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both VPN types do some tricks to make the client resolve DNS according to what the VPN provider prefers.

Unfortunately they are incompatible to both run at the same time and accomplish their respective goals.

Thank you @Marvin Rhoads for stepping in.

What would be your recommendation then to cope with the situation below:

- Company laptop running AnyConnect to access office servers in country X

- Worker in country Y who needs to show as being in country X when starting his company laptop

Thanks

Well the correct way to make it work would be to put an exception for the worker's actual county (or source IP address) to override the existing policy on the VPN head end. To do otherwise to try to "fool" the VPN is circumventing the security policy.

Hello Marvin, I need some help with a related issue. I can't get to 10.10.20.161 (CML sandbox) if NordVPN is not removed/uninstalled from my Windows 10 laptop. I do get AnyConnect connected but the errors I get when trying to reach 10.10.20.161 say that Internet access is blocked which is incorrect since I can still surf the web. Any suggestion you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

The proper approach to ensure it functions correctly is to create an exemption for the worker's home county or source IP address, allowing it to override the existing VPN policy at the head end. Attempting any other method to deceive the VPN would be a violation of the security policy, rather than a legitimate solution.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds great but too generic or theoretical for me! what actual settings I could try?

The actual setting you should use is to only use one VPN at a time. Either Nord or AnyConnect. Not both.

Hi Marvin,

Hi Marvin

As I mentioned in my statement, I must have NordVPN completly uninstalled to be able to connect to 10.10.20.161, even if CiscoAnyConnect does connect. Of course, I am not using NordVPN and AnyConnect at the same time. Stopping all three NordVPN services from the task manager does not help, I still can't connect to 10.10.20.161. I've contacted NordVPN, they also can't figure out why this is. This is not an easy problem. I think it requires some deeper investigation.

ecsae
Level 1
Level 1

I am in exactly the same position. My University post requires me to use AnyConnect for access to their systems, but I have also been urged not to use it for non-work purposes. If NordVPN is on my system (but not launched), AnyConnect initially connects, but disconnects in 15 seconds (and will not reconnect). When this happens, I also have no Internet access at all for e.g., Outlook, OneDrive, etc. If I then remove NordVPN (while in this frozen state), AnyConnect automatically reconnects and full Internet access is restored, without having to go through the 2-factor ID process.

zeech978
Level 1
Level 1

Using two VPNs simultaneously can sometimes cause conflicts because each VPN creates its own network tunnel, and there might be issues with routing or conflicting settings. However, there are a few potential solutions you could try:

1. **Virtual Machine or Container**: You could run one VPN within a virtual machine or container. This isolates the VPN connection from the host machine's VPN connection, potentially avoiding conflicts.

2. **Router-Level VPN**: Some routers support VPN connections. You could set up one VPN connection on the router level and use the other VPN on your device. This way, each device only has one VPN connection to manage.

3. **VPN chaining or cascading**: Some VPN services support chaining or cascading multiple VPN connections, where the traffic is routed through multiple VPN servers. However, this is typically more complex to set up and may require specific VPN providers that offer this feature.

4. **VPN Split Tunneling**: Some VPN clients or services support split tunneling, which allows you to specify which traffic goes through the VPN and which doesn't. You could configure one VPN to only route specific traffic through it while allowing other traffic to bypass the VPN.

5. **Proxy Server**: Instead of using a VPN for one of the connections, you could use a proxy server. Proxies work differently from VPNs and may not conflict in the same way.

As for VPN services that might work alongside Cisco AnyConnect, it largely depends on your specific requirements and what you're trying to achieve. However, some VPN services that are often used alongside others include:

- **ProtonVPN**
- **ExpressVPN**
- **Surfshark**
- **Private Internet Access (PIA)**
- **VyprVPN**

Keep in mind that the compatibility and effectiveness of using multiple VPNs simultaneously can vary based on the specific VPN services, software configurations, and network setups involved. It's essential to thoroughly test any setup to ensure it meets your security and privacy requirements without causing unexpected issues.

I had the same issue as described above - no Internet connection while running Cisco Anyconnect and having installed NordVPN (even when Nord VPN paused, permanent reconnects). I solved the issue as follows: NordVPN - settings - split Tunneling -> I activated VPN for Browser Microsoft Edge (so with Firefox no NordVPN interference). Then I paused NordVPN and turned Cisco Anyconnect on and connected to the host. With the Firefox Browser I coud now establish a connection to the website of my university while not having confllicts (no reconnetcs all the time). Hope this helps. Kind regards, Dietmar