cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Applying DAP to SSL VPN with Radius authentication

rsculthorp
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5510 IOS 8.2(4), we are succefully using the Cisco IPSEC client with Radius authentication for users in an AD group.  Now we want to roll out the Clientless SSL VPN connection and limit access rights by using the Dynamic Access Policies (DAP).   I have setup a DAP which works correctly (for assigning ACLs and portal customization) as long as I do not try to set the the AAA attribute to the radius ID for AD group membership.  So it is currently acting as my "Default DAP" for it to work.

I am using the ASDM (6.2) to configure the DAP and according to the built in help I should only need to assign the the aaa.radius ID to 4242 and the value to the AD group name. But this is not working.

Can someone please clarify if this is correct or can the DAP even be configured to work with the radius authentication in this way.

Thanks,

Rod

1 Reply 1

rsculthorp
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I was able to do a little more searching on  what I wanted to achieve and although I did not find the specific  answer here in the forum it did put me on the right track to finding it.

So here is how I resolved my issue.

I  first found a post that mentioned the DAP debug trace command (debug  DAP trace) that allowed me to see what was being passed to the DAP  during the user login. Once I had the debug running, I could then see  what was being passed to the DAP.  I found that I was seeing radius  entries, but nothing that corresponded to what is in any of the Cisco  documentation.

Cisco's ASA built in Help docs say this when setting up AAA authentication checking for a DAP "

• RADIUS—The  RADIUS client stores all native RADIUS response  attribute value pairs  in a database associated with the AAA session for the  user. The RADIUS  client writes the response attributes to the database in the  order in  which it receives them. It discards all subsequent attributes with that   name. This scenario might occur when a user record and a group record  are both  read from the RADIUS server. The user record attributes are  read first, and  always have priority over group record attributes.
  • RADIUS attributes consist of an attribute number and attribute value pair in the DAP record. See Security Appliance Supported RADIUS Attributes and Values for  a table that lists RADIUS attributes that the security appliance supports.

Note    For RADIUS attributes, DAP defines the Attribute ID = 4096 + RADIUS ID.

For example:

The RADIUS attribute "Access Hours" has a Radius ID = 1, therefore DAP attribute value = 4096 + 1 = 4097.

The RADIUS attribute "Member Of" has a Radius ID = 146,  therefore DAP attribute value = 4096 + 146 = 4242."

Well, this just does not work.  What I was seeing was this:

DAP_TRACE: Username: rodtest, aaa.radius["7"]["1"] = 1
DAP_TRACE: Username: rodtest, aaa.radius["28"]["1"] = 3600
DAP_TRACE: Username: rodtest, aaa.radius["6"]["1"] = 2
DAP_TRACE: Username: rodtest, aaa.radius["27"]["1"] = 43200
DAP_TRACE: Username: rodtest, aaa.radius["25"]["1"] = F...

Where entry aaa.radius["28"]["1"] corresponded to a numeric descriptor for the "First Active Directory Group" in the user account's Group member list. Entry aaa.radius["27"]["1"] directly corresponds to the second group in the member group list as  seen from an Active Directory user properties page. With this  information I was able to define a DAP policy that would apply to the  login based off of the group membership pulled from the radius. Now for  what ever reason, the trace only shows the first two groups and from the  user membership, no matter how many the account is a member of.  So if  you were wanting to do this with a "normal" user account which is  typically a member of MANY groups, you would have to appropriately name  your VPN access group so that it would be at the top of your user's  group list.  I am sure that the DAP is actually processing the rest of  the group memberships as well, but since I am using the radius IDs that I  pulled from the trace 28 & 27 (since I can not identify the  rest), it does not matter. The only caveat is by using the radius ID in  this manner the DAP association seems to be based of of the group  membership order as much as the group association, it would not work  well if your VPN access group was part of a normal user account in a  list that could easily change by adding a group to the user account.

This  configuration works for our environment due to the users having a VPN  account that is seperate from their Domain login account.

Well, all for now,

Rod