cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 VPN with dhcp at endpoint

s.wickert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new customer that I installed an ASA 5505 to replace a Linksys VPN router.  They have a main office with a static IP address, 3 branch offices with static IP addresses and 2 branches that are doing DHCP from the ISP for their router address.  I have no problem getting the static VPNs up and running.  My problem is with the VPN connections that are doing DHCP.  I can go in and determine what IP they are currently using and setup a connection and it works fine.  The problem is of course when their IP address from the ISP changes, which seems to happen at least daily.  What is the proper way to setup a connection that is using DHCP?  Also, can you setup multiple connections this way?  Currently the 2 locations have different passwords setup in their routers.

I need help ASAP as this customer is getting frustrated quickly.  I do not want to lose a customer that I just got over this.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 Reply 1

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Go to this link and scroll down to  Site to Site VPN (L2L) with IOS  and Site to Site VPN (L2L) with ASA, you can use the links example depicting your scenario requirements, where one end is dynamic and other static for Ipsec L2L  IOS-to-ASA or ASA-to-IOS.

The best solution obiosly is having  static IP addressing, make that clear with your client  , but  these exmaples are very good solution for your problem.

Keep in mind that the DHCP dynamic side will  always be the initiator to  bring up the tunnel , not the static side.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez