cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510/VPN - Enable VNC connectivity through VPN Firewall for Support

cpremo
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to enable our HelpDesk and Network team the ability to connect to Laptops using our ASA 5510 VPN device using Secure VNC application.  Not sure if this is possible or how to enable this option.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

can you elaborate a bit?

The laptops are they connecting to VPN or are they on local LAN. What VPn did you have primarily in mind webvpn or IPsec VPN (licensing might be key here).

I assume you mean this when you mentione secure VNC:

http://svnc.sourceforge.net/

or any other variation?

One could say that using VNC over VPN makes it secure enough ;]

Marcin

The Laptops (Windows 7 and XP) are connecting to our LAN/WAN using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client (ver. 2.5.2019).  They are assigned a IP (192.168.24.x) which is not an IP in our LAN/WAN (we own 4 class C IP ranges and have two subnetted for for remote locations and two for our HQ LAN.  All remote and HQ locations use HQ LAN for outbound internet traffic).

The VNC client is RealVNC Enterprise Edition E4.6.1.

Yes, there should be no problem to connect back to remote clients over their internal IP.

You just need to make sure that this traffic is allowed by ACLs (either ones assigned to interfaces and/or the ones assigned to users via vpn-filter or downloadable ACLs) and of course making sure windows firewall allows this connection.

An interesting problem is "how do I always assign same IP address to same user?" if it's needed. And you can do it via RADIUS or local attributes.

HTH,

Marcin

Where will this ACL be located?  In the Firewall Access Rules section?  I don't see the VPN as one of the "Interfaces".  There are just the DMZ, Inside, Outside and Management interfaces.  Or is the VPN under the DMZ interface?

To be honest I'm not used to ASDM so I can tell you what to check from telnet/SSH via CLI:

- show run access-group (yes it will show you which ACL is attached to which interface)

- show uauth

For the items I mentioned above.

In access of access-group ACLs you need to make sure that inbound traffic twoards the VPN hosts is allowed.

The rest is in your NAT config ;-)

Marcin