cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA to ASA or IOS Router VPN with dynamic remote

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I have an ASA 5505 with a dynamic IP address from the ISP.

What I need to accomplish is the following:

- Either setup that ASA (Dynamic IP)VPN with an IOS router (Static IP)

- Or setup that ASA (Dynamic IP) with another ASA (Static IP)

Any suggestions, links, best practices? Any one else is setup this way config examples would be great.  Thank you.

8 Replies 8

Hi Mohammed,

- Or setup that ASA (Dynamic IP) with another ASA (Static IP)

please find the link below. This should be a good guide to help you setup what you want. Let me know if you want more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00805733df.shtml

HTH

Kishore

Thank you Kishore but I found out that I really need to accomplish this from asa to a router with router being the central device so Option 1 is what I need.

Hi Mohammed,

In either case you use something called dynamic crypto maps because you dont know the peer ip as it will be dynamic.

I am pasting a link here to create dynamic crypto maps on routers. The ASA config will the same as a normal site-site config.

http://blogg.kvistofta.nu/config-example-static-to-dynamic-ipsec/

HTH

Kishore

Thank you Kishore, I will give it a try this week and post back results.     

This is great exactly what I need, one last issue remains on it is that there is already a static crypto map applied to the interface and I don't think you can apply two crypto maps to a single interface.  Is there a work around?

Hi Mohammed,

what you can do is to create numbered crypto maps. Below is what i mean.

crypto map HIGHSEC_CRYPTO_MAP 10 ipsec-isakmp

set peer 1.1.1.1

set transform-set ESP-AES-128-SHA

match address 100

crypto map HIGHSEC_CRYPTO_MAP 20 ipsec-isakmp

set peer 2.2.2.2

set transform-set ESP-AES-128-SHA

match address 200

interface fa0/1

crypto map HIGHSEC_CRYPTO_MAP

..and so on.. so basically you can run as many S2S VPN tunnels the platform supports. Try that and let me know

Regards,

Kishore

Thank you for the reply Kishore, however we already have that in place.  Issue here is that we already have static cyrpto maps and we need to add a dynamic map, but we can't bind it to the interface because there is a static map already there.

Ah I see what u mean. sorry didnt read ur last post fully. umm well in that case you might have to use subinterfaces and then aply the dynamic map to the sub-interface