cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning a static IP address per VPN Client PC with a 3005

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to find the best way to assign a static IP address for each VPN client based not on the user, but the PC that is connecting. I will be using the 4.0 client connecting to a VPN 3005, and need each PC to have a static IP once connected to allow for tracking of the stations. Any user could use any PC, so assigning by user is not possible.

If anyone has any thoughts on a reasonable way to acheive this, it would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

nikhil_m
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on this?

I have not found a satisfactory solution to this yet. TAC was not able to provide any insight, and my local SEs helped me research a bit. What we have found is that the concentrator sends the DHCP request with its MAC plus some random string at the end, which is not consistant for a client. It also does not appear to send the client name in the initial dhcp request, so I cannot define the hosts in DHCP.

The only option I have found as of yet is creating a VPN group per PC, with a pool of 1 IP per group. Unfortunately I fear I will hit the limit of groups before finishing, so the customer may start evaluating other products to see if something else may match their requirements.

One last reply to see if anyone has any ideas on this. I found out that we are dealing with more than 100 PCs, so the VPN Group option will not work. I may be on site tomorrow so I may sniff the DHCP requests for anything that may be useful. I had hoped I could have DHCP hand out an address based on the hostname, but initial testing appeared to indicate that the concentrator does not send the hostname in the initial dhcp request.