Views
Helpful
Replies

Best VPN debug commands?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I was just wondering what your best VPN debug commands are on a ASA or router regarding phase 1 and 2 and the ACL?

For example I have have a site-to-site up between 2 ASAs and phase 1 and 2 are up, but each site can't ping a PC on each site.  I'm looking at NAT and the ACLs at the moment, but any useful commands woudl be most appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 1st two go-to commands are:

show crypto isakmp sa

show crypto ipsec sa

If Phase 1 and Phase 2 aren't up per those respective commands, then go to:

debug crypto isakmp 7

debug crypto ipsec 7

You may need to increase the verbosity level (255 is the highest) and, if you have multiple SAs, focus on the one you are interested in with a filter:

debug crypto condition peer <peer IP>

Once you have Phase 1 and 2 established but are having continued problems with bidirectional traffic flow, look at two things:

1. In the show crypto ipsec sa output, do decaps increase commensurate with the encaps. If not, the distant end may not be getting the return traffic. Confirm with a packet capture and/or trace.

2. Use the packet-tracer command (CLI or GUI) on the ASA to examine how it will treat a given flow. NAT and ACL issues can often be quickly seen using that tool.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 1st two go-to commands are:

show crypto isakmp sa

show crypto ipsec sa

If Phase 1 and Phase 2 aren't up per those respective commands, then go to:

debug crypto isakmp 7

debug crypto ipsec 7

You may need to increase the verbosity level (255 is the highest) and, if you have multiple SAs, focus on the one you are interested in with a filter:

debug crypto condition peer <peer IP>

Once you have Phase 1 and 2 established but are having continued problems with bidirectional traffic flow, look at two things:

1. In the show crypto ipsec sa output, do decaps increase commensurate with the encaps. If not, the distant end may not be getting the return traffic. Confirm with a packet capture and/or trace.

2. Use the packet-tracer command (CLI or GUI) on the ASA to examine how it will treat a given flow. NAT and ACL issues can often be quickly seen using that tool.

Thanks Marvin, I'm glad to say I use a few of these.  I got my head route the packet capture today and put it in wiresark which  was great.  Can these commands be used on a router to that is in VPN mode?

Running a debug but for a particular IPSEC VPN shouldn't cause much of a degradation and/or impact on performance correct or possibly?