cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging!

khurram49
Level 1
Level 1

Kindly guide me how to bridge 2 subnets on a single router interface.

6 Replies 6

can we make cisco 2960 switch port as a bridge port which can carry tagged/untagged traffic without configuring the vlans?

@balaji.bandi wrote:

here is the configuration example and detailed explanation :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ibm-technologies/source-route-transparent-srt-bridging/10676-37.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/integrated-routing-bridging-irb/17054-741-10.html

Hi,

Bridge option is for a Layer 3 device (Router) where Layer 2 packets are not allowed or rewriting. Cisco switch 2960's interfaces are layer 2 so does not require any Bridging. 

You have to define all required VLANs to pass the traffic on the switch.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Router (subnet 1: 192.168.8.0/24 & 192.168.7.0/24) ------- > Switch 2950 (VLAN10,20.30 & 40)--------> Non Manageable Switch -------- > PCs.

In above scenario only 1 vlan traverse which is native. I want that all vlan carry data back and forth.

Hi,

As you are using a non-manageable switch 

Router (subnet 1: 192.168.8.0/24 & 192.168.7.0/24) ------- > Switch 2950 (VLAN10,20.30 & 40)--------> Non Manageable Switch -------- > PCs.

It will not work for you. 

My advice for your network design:

Recommend: Replace the non-manageable switch with a manageable switch

Improvement in the design with existing devices:

Extend a single VLAN toward non-manageable switch and use the router or core switch for layer 3 routing for interconnectivity between different VLANs.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

L2 Port do not required.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help