Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Ping across remote access VPN

peteroddan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I hope I've posted this in the right place !

I'm a bit new to Cisco IOS, so please forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question !

We have a PIX 515E firewall 6.3(4)on which I've used the VPN wizard to set up a remote access VPN for the Cisco VPN client on the outside interface.

When I connect from home on my WinXP Pro SP2 laptop running Cisco VPN Client 4.0.5(C) I seem to be able to connect to most network resources (i.e file shares, I can RDP into servers etc) but I can't seem to be able to ping anything - I just get request times out.

I'm sure it's something stupid I've done (or not done).

I've attached my config, and would be grateful if anyone could take a look and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Peter.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

You need to add a line to the access-list inside_access_in:

enable

conf t

access-list inside_access_in permit icmp any any

exit

write mem

Kind Regards

Cathy

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ciscocsoc
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Peter,

It isn't immediately obvious which of the ACLs you are using for your remote clients, but the problem might lie with not allowing ICMP echo-reply back out.

Prior to PIX 7 there is no ICMP inspection engine, so you need to explicitly allow return traffic.

HTH

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Thanks very much for your reply.

What you've said sort of makes sense to me !(as I said, I'm relatively new to Cisco), but I'm not entirely sure how to implement it !

Can you tell me where I would need to go in the SDM to enable this for my VPN, or what command I would use at the command line ?

Thanks,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

You need to add a line to the access-list inside_access_in:

enable

conf t

access-list inside_access_in permit icmp any any

exit

write mem

Kind Regards

Cathy

Hi Cathy,