Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot browse internet while connected to VPN

rpanjala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all..

This was working fine until yesterday morning.. since then I am not able to browse internet it I am connected to VPN.. I get a 'Page cannot be displayed' error message.. the second I disconnect from VPN, I am able to browse internet.. I have not made any changes/installtions for this to happen.. help please..

Thanks..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check to see if you can ping by IP address (make sure DNS information is properly learned). Also try setting interface MTU to 1300 in case there was a change inside your service provider's network. Is this in NAT or non-NAT mode?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check to see if you can ping by IP address (make sure DNS information is properly learned). Also try setting interface MTU to 1300 in case there was a change inside your service provider's network. Is this in NAT or non-NAT mode?

I could not ping the msn.com web site.

>make sure DNS information is properly learned. Also try setting interface MTU to 1300 in case there was a change inside your service provider's network. Is this in NAT or non-NAT mode?

Not sure what that meant.. I am just a end user.. can you please be more specific?

Thank you..

Hi,

1. When you are not using VPN, try pinging an ip address on the internet and make sure it is alive.

2. Now after you connect with the VPN, try pinging the same ip address and see if you get a response.

3. If you dont get a response, then we need to dig a little bit further to see what is going on.

4. If you get a response, open a browser and put the IP ADDRESS and see if it opens up the web page.

5. If using the IP Address works, then use the name and see what happens.

6. If the web page does not open, then your issue might be due to DNS.

There are so many other things that can go wrong for you not connecting to the internet when your VPNing in. So, do contact your network admin and let them know that you are having this issue and they might have the answer right there for you.

Regards,

Arul

Hi..

It was a proxy problem.. when specifed a proxy, it started working fine.. wonder why I needed to do that now, when it was working before.. but thanks for your response..

Arul,

I went though your steps and I am able to put the ip address in the browser and the pages comes up, however I cannot type in the name. You suggested that this might have to do with the DNS. Can you please assist me further? In other word what should I do next? Thanks so much for you time!

Rachel

I'm having the same trouble as the original post and I've done all this, but still no luck. Here's my scenario:

At home, I have a cable modem connection to the internet. The modem goes into the WAN of my 806 router. The router gives out 10. nat addresses to my home PC's. I can connect to the internet fine, but when I use the Cisco VPN Client (version 4.0.1) on my home win2k pc to connect to my work LAN I can login and receive an IP from the concentrator, but I cannot ping anything by name or IP on the work LAN. While connected to the VPN I cannot ping anything by name or IP on the internet either. Something seems to be going on behind the router...thoughts? Thank you.

fc
Level 1
Level 1

Is this your company's VPN, terminating at either a Cisco router, PIX firewall of VPN concentrator at the company end?

If so, you need to check with your company to insure that no policy changes have been made which prohibit "split tunneling". Split tunnelling is considered a security risk and is NOT recommended since a hacker coming in through your Internet connection would have the same access that you have into the corporate network.

The command which enables split tunneling on a PIX firewall is "vpngroup PIXVPNGROUP split-tunnel VPNCLIENTACCESS" where PIXVPNGROUP is the name if the VPN group on that PIX and VPNCLIENTACCESS is the name (or number) of the access control list permitting traffic into the internal network from specific IP address ranges connected by the VPN.

I hope this helps.

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

BilalBhat70625
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem. For me, it's not user specific, as I can login through VPN from other Laptop. On my laptop, whenever I connect Cisco VPN, neither LAN nor Internet gets accessed. When I disconnect VPN, I can use Internet normally. What can be the issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: