cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect: vpnui.exe - System Error

hungryhippo1
Level 1
Level 1

I recently started getting this pop-up every time I restart my computer (Win 7 64bit).

Here it is in text...

----------------------------

vpnui.exe - System Error

The program can't start because QtCore4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

-----------------------------

I uninstalled anyconnect and rebooted. Above error went away.

I then re-installed anyconnect. Error came back.

If anyconnect wants that dll then why doesn't it provide it itself?

Anyconnect seems to work, but I hate seeing an error everytime I start my computer.

I notice that QtCore4.dll exists in like five different locations on my computer, but they're all different sizes. I don't want to start blindly copy/pasting them to other locations.

I did install cygwin, uninstall openssh, maybe some other things recently, but shouldn't affect anyconnect. Besides, it should have it's own if it wants it. Can someone upload that dll from the anyconnect directory if it's supposed to be there?

Any other recommendations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pierre Sirois
Level 1
Level 1

I stumbled upon this post as I have the same issue.  There were 3 DLLs missing that I found in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\RSA SecurID Token Common'.  I don't know if you also have RSA SecurID Token software on your machine but after adding the QtCore4.dll as stated by David, I got 2 other missing DLLs messages.  I found them in the RSA folder and copied them in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client' folder.

QtCore4.dll
RSAClientLogger.dll
log4cxx.dll

I don't have the error messages after copying those 3 DLLs in the Cisco AnyConnect folder.  I also did not restarted with all non Microsoft services unchecked as David said.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

On ths case since AnyConnect is working fine, I will give you a couple of steps firstly to get the QtCore4.dll within the folder it should be:

* You could download the DLL file from here.

* Then You will need to place the DLL file downloaded on this path:

C:\Windows\system 

* After doing that make sure to Perform a clean boot on Windows.

+ Basically open up the msconfig.exe 

+ On the General Tab -->Check the Selective startup-->Just check the Load System Services and leave unchecked the Load startup Items

+ Then Click on services, at the bottom check the Hide All Microsoft Services 

+ Then click on Disable All

+ Click on Apply and Ok and restart the computer

+ On thsi URL you can find this more detailed(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us)

After doing this make sure the error won't come up anymore, test the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client several times. Also try to get the latest release that works better.

Let me know how it works out!

Please Don´t forget to rate and mark as correct the helpful Post!

David Castro,

Regards,

I have the same problem, and I agree, that if anyconnect needs that DLL, and it is not a standard part of Windows, it should be provided with anyconnect. Your advise to go download a dll from an unauthenticated 3rd party site and stick it into the default windows path sounds like something that any organization's IT department is going to have serious concerns about. Thus I have to rank this answer very low. I'll just continue to ignore the error message, but as hungryhippo1 pointed out it is annoying, particularly as it claims the program vpnui  "can't start", when in fact it is already running.

Pierre Sirois
Level 1
Level 1

I stumbled upon this post as I have the same issue.  There were 3 DLLs missing that I found in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\RSA SecurID Token Common'.  I don't know if you also have RSA SecurID Token software on your machine but after adding the QtCore4.dll as stated by David, I got 2 other missing DLLs messages.  I found them in the RSA folder and copied them in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client' folder.

QtCore4.dll
RSAClientLogger.dll
log4cxx.dll

I don't have the error messages after copying those 3 DLLs in the Cisco AnyConnect folder.  I also did not restarted with all non Microsoft services unchecked as David said.

Thanks, Pierre - indeed I also have RSA SecureID token software and this does appear to be the result of some kind of interaction between the two packages.  Some time ago I did exactly what you did and copied those 3 dll files from RSA to the Cisco folder and the problem went away.  I should have gone back and updated my response.