Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA redundant vpn problem?

shanefalco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a ASA 5500 series firewall and need to define another peer ip for site2sitevpn connection.Actually my aim is, ASA tries first peer ip of site2site tunnel, when ASA can not not reach this ip, try to reach another ip which i defined before.I can configure this scenerio on Cisco Router with this commands;

crypto map tohub 1 ipsec-isakmp

set peer 10.1.1.1 default 

set peer 10.2.2.2 

but i wonder that can i do that on ASA?

Thanks.

Best Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Shane,

You can configure multiple IP addresses under same set peer entry on ASA, but it will not work the same as on IOS with preferred peer, it will cycle between the defined peers.

Marcin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Shane,

You can configure multiple IP addresses under same set peer entry on ASA, but it will not work the same as on IOS with preferred peer, it will cycle between the defined peers.

Marcin

Thank you Marcin,

You mean, when we use set peer  192.168.1.2  172.29.68.12 , there is no preemption mechanism between those IP's, acting like round robin algoritm right? 

Shane,

Yup, I believe the command reference is accurate on this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/command/reference/c5.html#wp2278871

Configuring multiple peers is equivalent to  providing a fallback list. For each tunnel, the security appliance  attempts to negotiate with the first peer in the list. If that peer does  not respond, the security appliance works its way down the list until  either a peer responds or there are no more peers in the list. You can  set up multiple peers only when using the backup LAN-to-LAN feature  (that is, when the crypto map connection type is originate-only). For  more information, see the

crypto map set connection-type

command.

M.