cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco license missing after upgrade on IOS-XE

DAVID
Level 3
Level 3
My right-to-use security licensing reverts to evaluation when I upgrade my Cisco 1100 ISR from 16.07.1 to 16.08.1. This should not happen whenever the image file is upgraded on a router. Anyone else ever seen this before
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just confirmed with TAC, the license file needs to be reapplied every time there is an IOS image change. I assume the same license file can be reused so I think you can just leave it in flash and reapply it as needed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

I have never seen a license disappear before.  I suggest opening a TAC case.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Did TAC give you a solution? I'm having the same problem.

I have not heard anything from TAC.  Currently I have a Cisco ISR c1111 running fuji 16.0.7.1 with securityk9 and ipbasek9 activated.  When I was able to upgrade to 16.0.8.1 both features were set back non-activated.

Ok, thanks. I'm opening a TAC case as well, I'll post the solution if they figure it out.

TAC issued me a license file to re-enable the security license. Didn't explain why it was disabled by a software update.........

Just curious but when you did the upgrade did you simply just have the .bin file in the bootflash and configure the system bootflash to load the file and did the licensing reactivate if you configured the router to load the previous image file?

Correct, I copied the bin image to flash and used the boot system command. Even when I reverted back to the previous bin image, the security license was gone. Only way to get it back was to load the license file TAC provided me.

Just confirmed with TAC, the license file needs to be reapplied every time there is an IOS image change. I assume the same license file can be reused so I think you can just leave it in flash and reapply it as needed.

Geez.  With a roll-out of over 500+ routers I have coming up I really should have a good reason to upgrade since Cisco products don't suffer from any bugs...LOL

We are in a similar situation. I suggest you escalate this issue to your local channel manager for them to follow up with their BU. I have already done so and really hoping it's just a bug and not by design. I'll post again if I get any more info.