cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client overrides more specific persistent windows route.

Flanger23
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody.

I'm having problem when connecting to router via VPN client. Upon connection I receive route for 172.16.0.0/16 network by split tunneling. Also I have a route to one specific host lets say 172.16.15.20/32 via different gateway with windows metric of 21, it is working well, until I connect to VPN. After receiving summary route, this specific route is suppressed (although received sum route has win metric 100)  and does not show up in windows routing table any more. Traffic destined to that host is routed through VPN. I thought it was completely wiped out, but when trying to add it windows reports me its already present.

Solution is to delete and add route back, then it shows up and works as intended. Is it any kind of bug or something?

Operating system is Win7 Ultimate x86.

Regards.

4 Replies 4

Cameron Webster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Could it be that your VPN assigned network of /16 overlaps with your host route?  Are you able to change the mask on your split tunnel network to /24 or are you using the whole /16 subnet?

Cammy

Yes, the summary route overlaps with specific route, but why should it suppress more specific route, given that the route is with the longest prefix possible /32. Changing summary route is not an option, not possible.

what about adding a different host route to a machine on a completely different subnet to see if it gets overwritten also?

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

Realize this is an old post, but having the same problem too. The ASA provides a split tunnel route of 10.0.0.0/8 and any specific routes to say 10.69.0.0/16 via a different VPN client disappear from netstat -rn after connecting to AnyConnect.  When disconnecting from AnyConnect, the route returns.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: