cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client says "Opening cert store." for 5 to 10 minutes

stephen.wick
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me why the Cisco VPN Client for Windows Vista might sit on the splash screen saying, "Opening cert store.  This may take a few moments." for 5 to 10 minutes?

I have been using the VPN client for almost 2 years now, and it has been hanging for a month or two.  I am using Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.06.0160 on Windows Vista.

My company's desktop support team has not been able to help me so far.

screenshot-of-issue.jpg

3 Replies 3

deltatuk1
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue. It occurred due to having multiple certificates in my user certificate store that the client parses through on load. I deleted the certificates created by my fiddler tool and now the client loads in a few sec. You can check your certificates by typing mmc in a command prompt, then adding the certificates snap-in for the "Current User". The certficates you are concerned with are in the personal store. Delete any that you don't need (In my case all but 1) and it should load quickly next time.

Thanks Chad - I had this exact problem too and it was due to Fiddler.  It had created a few hundred certs in the personal store for all the different SSL-enabled sites I visited while it was running.  I deleted all the certs created by Fiddler and now the VPN GUI loads up lighting quick again.

-Gregg

Alternate way to complete this - I deleted the certs by following this page and it worked perfectly.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16827901/how-do-you-remove-the-root-ca-certificate-that-fiddler-installs