cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting via VPN from a 10-net to a 10-net - unrelated

ksample-mcneil
Level 1
Level 1

I have a dilemna. A department in my company needs to access the database of another company. They have given us permission to VPN into their system (from the PC - either through our Internet link or through a modem). Only problem is that our company uses the Class A addressing schema of 10.x.x.x, and the address we need to access through the VPN is a 10.20.xx.xx. Disconnecting from our local netowrk while connecting to this 10.20... network is not an option, since our users still need access to their LAN resources (like printers, etc...)

We currently use Novell's Bordermanager for incoming VPN, but that has little bearing on this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

k.poplitz
Level 3
Level 3

If you use a PIX Firewall, there is a feature called alias that performs destination network address translation (DNAT). You would tell your users on your network that to get to the database server, go to a bogus address like 192.168.1.1 (or use DNS locally to publish that address). In the PIX you DNAT that to 10.20.x.x. Other than that, one of you will have to renumber.

Hope this helps!