Views
Helpful
Replies

Core switch can not access by telnet

khoirul.iman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I can PING my core switch from local host, but I can not telnet the Core Switch. This is my line vty configuration :

line vty 0 4
 exec-timeout 0 0
 logging synchronous
 login local
 transport input all
line vty 5 15
 exec-timeout 0 0
 logging synchronous
 login local
 transport input all
!

Can you help me to solve this case ?

Thanks

Khoirul

4 Replies 4

Javaid Lillah
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Iman,

Have you configured AAA authentication on switch? If not you need to either configure that or set the line password.

Since the original post clearly shows that the vty are configured with login local then there is no point in configuring the line password. It is an interesting question whether aaa authentication has been configured and might be the source of the problem. Perhaps a more fundamental question might be what happens then they attempt telnet. Do they get a prompt for credentials? Do they enter any credentials? What, if any, message do they receive when they attempt to telnet?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

when I tried access by telnet, prompt shown the message "% Connection refused by remote host"

Thanks

Khoirul

Khoirul

Thank you for this information. Given that you receive the connection refused by remote host and do not get a prompt for login credentials, then I believe that we can assume that this is not an issue with authentication  or with aaa configuration. But having said that it does occur to me to ask if there is at least one user ID and password configured on the switch. Can you post the part of the configuration where some user ID and password is configured?

And given that the vty are configured with transport input all, then clearly telnet is an allowed protocol and it is not an issue that telnet is not permitted. Which leads me to wonder whether SSH to the switch works? Or do both telnet and SSH experience this problem?

Is this a problem with certain hosts or is it the situation that no host is able to telnet to the switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick