Views
Helpful
Replies

Crypto Map Peer for Just a Computer

Grant Curell
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a home lab network VPN and am following this tutorial:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/ipsec-negotiation-ike-protocols/16439-IPSECpart8.html

I'm using a Cisco 1700 and the router is behind a NAT. I'm a bit confused on the crypto map peer. What should it be for a remote computer? My goal is to just have a single laptop connect to the VPN. The IP address is changing and entering a hostname doesn't seem to be an option.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am a bit puzzled at your description of the problem. You say that the 1700 router is behind a VPN. Does this mean that the 1700 is behind some device which terminates the VPN. Or are you saying that the 1700 is the device on which the VPN terminates?

The tutorial that you reference is oriented to site to site VPN which is usually used for VPN that connects gateway devices and where the PCs are connected behind the gateway devices. If you want to have a single PC at the remote end of the VPN then you might want to try to do this as Remote Access VPN.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply. That was my bad - I meant NAT not VPN (fixed now). I'll lok into that in the morning.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: